Langdon `very doubtful' on eve of opener

CHARLOTTE - For the first time in a week, Trajan Langdon's famous jump shot was swishing through the nets at the Charlotte Coliseum. It is still "very doubtful," however, that the senior will be launching long-range bombs tonight, said coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Langdon participated in shooting drills yesterday for the first time since suffering a strained fifth metatarsal in his left foot in the first round of the ACC tournament last Thursday. But Duke's all-time three-point leader watched from the bench, a basketball in his hands, when his teammates performed any activities that involved cutting.

A final decision on Langdon's status will be made this morning when the Blue Devils do a walk-through before their game with Florida A&M at 7:40 p.m. in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

"It's day-to-day," Langdon said. "I may wake up in the morning and I may feel great. I may wake up [this] morning feeling bad. It's something you need to rest, but this time of year you can't do that. There are three weeks left in my college career and I want to get out there."

Krzyzewski said his captain won't play if the injury doesn't improve overnight. But the coach is equally impatient for Langdon to return to the lineup. Although freshman Corey Maggette has filled in admirably at shooting guard, Krzyzewski would prefer to have his full eight-man rotation and its ability to pressure opponents defensively.

"I want to get him in as soon as possible," he said. "Having him out messes up our timing. It's not like it's midseason and we've got lots of games afterwards."

Rather, it's the NCAA tournament and Duke is anxious to pursue its season-long goal of a national championship. The Blue Devils will kick off their quest against the 12-18 Rattlers, who started their year with 10 straight losses. But Langdon preferred to focus on Florida's A&M's most recent streak.

"Forget their overall record," he said. "They've won five straight games. It's not about their overall record but how they feel about themselves right now.... They're going to be confident when they come out against us."

Share and discuss “Langdon `very doubtful' on eve of opener” on social media.