Blue Devils look to keep hex on Tigers' backcourt tonight

Peppi Browne can't quite explain it. Then again, she doesn't have to.

The numbers tell the whole story.

In their four seasons at Clemson, the senior backcourt of Amy Geren and Itoro Umoh have been every bit as "scintillating and sensational" as the alliterative Dick Vitale tabbed them in a practice last season. Their combined total of seven selections to all-ACC Rookie, Conference and Tournament teams are just the start of a resume some teams would be happy to boast.

But somehow, a strange thing happens on the way up I-85. Somewhere between the South Carolina college town and the entrance to Cameron, Geren, the Street and Smith preseason All-American and Umoh, the Naismith Award finalist, are exposed to their own brand of kryptonite.

"They're great players," Browne said. "So even if their shot isn't on, they're still getting the team involved and playing well in that respect."

The numbers tell a somewhat different story.

While dominating the rest of the ACC for just over 27 points a game this season, the pair has-outside of Geren's 14 points last season-put up a very human 32 total points in their three previous Durham contests. And Geren, who will move into second place on the Clemson career three-point list with her next trey, has shot an anemic 3-of-17 from behind the arc.

The Blue Devils, however, are well aware that even without an outstanding shooting performance, the Tiger guards can find other routes to victory. Umoh ranks in the school's career top-10 list in both assists and steals.

"Clemson is always a tough game, and they always hustle," Browne said. "They thrive off of steals and rebounds, which enables them to get easy shots. We've got to take care of the ball, use pass fakes and box out. Pressure is the Clemson trademark.... Umoh is quick and though she might not be scoring, both she and [Geren] will be getting the ball to their teammates or getting fouled in the lane."

But if the all-ACC Clemson backcourt looks a little less than stellar tonight and you don't understand why, don't worry; the teams on the floor may very well not know either.

Note: Sophomore Rochelle Parent is doubtful for tonight's game after suffering a sprained ankle in Monday's victory over Wake Forest.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils look to keep hex on Tigers' backcourt tonight” on social media.