Despite off year, Bly still shines at cornerback for Tar Heels

Fans at tomorrow's game shouldn't be surprised if the ball is thrown to only one side of the field. The Tar Heels are coming, and they are bringing with them arguably the best cornerback in the nation.

Though Dré Bly is a junior, he is already the ACC leader in career interceptions with 19. This year, however, he has only racked up three picks.

But UNC coach Carl Torbush feels that high expectations are the only reason that Bly's season has been perceived as sub-par.

"Dré Bly is still the premier defensive threat at cornerback in the ACC," Torbush said. "He has taken some heat this year because of some plays that he has allowed, but he spoiled us his first two years when it seemed like he never got beat. That is an unrealistic pace for a cornerback."

The majority of Bly's interceptions came in his freshman year, when he totaled 11, three more than any other player in Division I-A. In the process, he became the first freshman in ACC history to earn consensus first-team All-American honors. Bly was also a finalist for the Jim Thorpe award as the nation's top defensive back and was named the ACC Rookie of the Year.

Bly had another strong season as a sophomore. He intercepted five passes and, along with Charles Woodson and Andy Katzenmoyer, was a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Year Award. Bly was also named a first-team All-American on almost every major list.

Bly entered this year rated as the top defensive back in the nation by Sports Illustrated. North Carolina touted him as a Heisman Trophy candidate.

Bly, however, did not live up to these expectations. In a loss to Georgia Tech, he was burned twice for touchdowns by Dez White.

Bly vowed after the game that White would be the last receiver to have such success against him.

"This will be the last time y'all will be asking me these questions," he told The News & Observer of Raleigh. "It's my fault. I can't blame the safety because I don't want help from the safety. I feel like if the ball is close to me, I should come away with it or nobody should."

The responsibility for these long touchdowns cannot fall totally on Bly's shoulders. UNC lost three members of its front seven on defense to the first round of the 1998 NFL draft. Thus, opposing quarterbacks have had plenty of time to wait for receivers to get open. The Tar Heel secondary has also been plagued by injuries this season, forcing Bly to cover the opponent's best receiver on virtually every play.

But Bly's performance this year has not changed his plans for the future. He announced during spring practice that this will be his last season of college football. North Carolina even went so far as to include him in Senior Night ceremonies before the Maryland game.

Torbush does not object to Bly's intentions.

"We have known about Dre's decision since March," he said. "We know he won't be here so we can go ahead and recruit for that position. I congratulate him and wish him well, as long as he gets his degree."

Those mistakes against Georgia Tech and Stanford, where he allowed two catches for over 30 yards, have killed Bly's hope for the Heisman. They have not hurt his standing with the NFL. The Sporting News rates Bly as the best cornerback in the draft and projects him as the eighth pick overall.

Nor has Bly lost any of his confidence as a result of the mistakes. He retains his reputation as one of the premier trash-talkers in the ACC.

"I just let them know that I'm going to be with them the whole game," he said, "and that you ain't going to catch no passes."

Saturday, the Blue Devils will get one final chance to prove him wrong.

Share and discuss “Despite off year, Bly still shines at cornerback for Tar Heels” on social media.