Men's soccer takes on winless N.C. State

The third-ranked men's soccer team travels to N.C. State Sunday to take on perhaps the least threatening opponent on its schedule.

The Wolfpack is 0-4 in ACC competition and has managed to score only one goal in conference play while giving up 15. N.C. State has fared somewhat better outside the extremely competitive ACC, though. It has an overall record of 3-8, having scored eight goals and given up 14 in non-conference games.

Duke enters the contest 12-1 overall and 3-1 in the ACC. But no one involved thinks this game will be easy. The Blue Devils don't want to look past the Wolfpack after a tough 3-1 win over 18th-ranked Wake Forest.

"We will have to protect against the possibility of a letdown," said Duke coach John Rennie. "The Wake Forest game took a lot out of the team. They are going to have to remain focused."

Rennie also expressed some concern about the Wolfpack having extra motivation for the game.

"We are somewhat afraid of N.C. State in that this is their final home game in the ACC, and they'll probably see this as a way to salvage their season," he said.

There is also some concern about the team's injury situation. Defender Dwayne Harris is out for the season with a knee injury. Forward Ali Curtis, who did not play in the Wake Forest game, will see action against N.C. State only if it is absolutely necessary.

"Obviously we would love to have Ali," Rennie said. "But unless we have no other options, I don't want to risk further injury by putting him in the game when he is not completely healthy."

The Blue Devils did receive some positive injury news Wednesday night when X-rays on Robert Russell, taken at the half of the Wake Forest game, came back negative. The sophomore midfielder will play against the Wolfpack.

The Blue Devils are second in the ACC behind Virginia and a loss would severely hurt their chances of winning the regular-season title. This is also a good chance for Duke to get a look at a potential first-round opponent in the ACC tournament.

But Rennie did not want to look that far ahead.

"I don't want us to start thinking about the tournament this early," he said. "At this point, we are just trying to work hard, remain focused and get better with every game."

Share and discuss “Men's soccer takes on winless N.C. State” on social media.