Current tent policy reflects successful '97 policy

I have always been a firm supporter of camping out, bonfires and all other things at Duke that revolve around the holy game. During my four years at the University, I never missed an opportunity to camp out.

I had my fair share of nights spent in a canvas tent with frost collecting on my nose. Krzyzewskiville memories are some of my fondest and that is why I am writing in response to the letters from Erik Meadows and Chrissy Dideriksen in the Oct. 29 edition of The Chronicle.

Through the years, I saw several line monitors. Some were fair and efficient ('97) while others were corrupt and disorganized ('98). The best camp-out experience that I can recall was for the '97 Carolina game. The policy drawn up by that year's head line monitor was clear, fair and supported by virtually all tenters. The new tent policy closely follows the '97 rules.

Statements such as Meadows' that this is a "sad day for Cameron Crazies" are unfounded. Camping out at K-ville, Duke's greatest tradition, has seen many rules and regulations. Last year, the campout took place with little or no planning and the result was a Florida State campout game and the highest level of K-ville angst ever recorded. It should be obvious to anyone at the University (first and foremost to the Cameron Crazies) that we need a defined policy that will protect K-ville for years to come.

Unless Meadows and Dideriksen want to see K-ville stamped out like similar (although pathetic) attempts at camping-out at Stanford and UNC, I suggest they support this tent policy or provide an alternate one. "This tent policy sucks" doesn't qualify as constructive criticism.

Evan Hicks

Trinity '98

Share and discuss “Current tent policy reflects successful '97 policy” on social media.