Inclement weather forces officials to cancel 'beer gardens'

Although the celebration on the main quad of West Campus slated for tonight will be rescheduled due to inclement weather, the party's planners are still optimistic about giving West Campus a social boost in the upcoming weeks. A series of three parties-organized by the Campus Social Board, Duke Dining Services and several individual students-will kick off next Friday night instead.

Next Friday's fiesta-dubbed "the beer garden" by students involved in the planning-will serve as a trial run for similar events in the future. It will include food, soft drinks, beer and entertainment, said Trinity senior Brandon Busteed, chair of the Campus Social Board.

As both organized and spontaneous activities on campus seem to become a thing of the past, rumors about the "old Duke"-which many characterize with tales of nightly keg parties-run rampant at the beginning of each year, said Busteed. But the social board hopes to end those grumblings by providing "viable social options for all students, both those who want to drink and those who do not. This event does that. The focus is not drinking; it is having a good time on-campus. But if you want to drink, there is that option."

Jim Wulforst, director of dining services, agreed that drinking is a part of campus life, but added that he has a difficult time resolving safety issues with student demands. "The most worrisome thing to me is the University's liability," he explained. "I cannot just let kegs go and have students out there filling everyone's cup right and left. I am not in favor of taking kegs off campus. I just have to find a way to have them responsibly.

"I think using this truck, [Alcohol Law Enforcement]-certified bartenders and proper identifying covers our responsibility. I still worry about the pre-partying that I know goes on, but I am doing everything in my power to make sure students can have fun and be safe."

Changes in the alcohol policy several years ago mandated that University-approved bartenders distribute beer from kegs. However, the bartenders already working for the University were not always the most trustworthy, Wulforst said.

"I was told that our bartenders could make a couple hundred dollars a night, just by accepting "tips" to look the other way," he said. "That isn't going to work."

To combat this problem, Wulforst held three separate ALE bartender training sessions last spring. Only one of those sessions was attended, Wulforst said, and even many of those present were rebuffed by the responsibility and liability of bartending.

Things are looking up, however, as approximately 25 graduate students have agreed to be certified and work at parties throughout this year, said Wulforst.

Dining Services is shouldering most of the financial burden for the parties, Wulforst said. His department has even purchased a "beer truck" with 20 taps that will be in service next week.

"This way," he said, "we are not limited to any particular kind of beer. I am always geared towards providing an extraordinary look to things and I think this is part of that."

Trinity senior George Vlahakos, a student who originally introduced the beer garden idea to administrators and the Campus Social Board, said he was extremely excited about the festivities and the new beer truck. "All we need to do is paint it," he said exuberantly.

Students will be asked to show proper identification at a carding station manned by an outside company, said Wulforst.

They will be given a bracelet and then will be allowed to purchase-on points or with cash-two-dollar tickets for 20 ounce beers. These tickets, sold two or three at a time, can then be traded in for the beer of choice.

Food will also be on points or cash and soft drinks will be free. Any profits, Wulforst said, will be donated to charity. "This isn't a money-making venture," he said. "Even if we don't make a profit, I wouldn't care all that much."

Sue Wasiolek, vice president of student affairs, said that she was also excited about the upcoming parties. "No one was ever in favor of taking away social life," she said. "We just need to find a way to handle events in a safe manner."

Wasiolek chairs the alcohol policy review committee which is scheduled to meet regularly this fall.

"Although we have no specific agenda or proposals for change, we are open to consideration," she said. "The alcohol policy is considered a work-in-progress, and we will continue to assess its effectiveness."

Wasiolek's office will also be meeting to evaluate the success of next Friday night's party. "If everything goes smoothly," she said, "it can happen again."

A minimum police force will be on hand next week to help ensure things do go smoothly. Maj. Robert Dean of the Duke University Police Department said that, like any other night, he will have officers patrolling to ensure emergency help is nearby if needed and to temper unruly behavior.

The officers, Dean said, are not going to bother anyone having fun in a calm manner, but if any student looks as though he or she is in a dangerous situation, the officers may interfere.

Busteed said he is confident that this party is just the beginning of a great year.

"The Campus Social Board's goal," he explained, "is to provide activities that give students something to do on campus. We are going to have a campus semiformal at Homecoming this year, and we will continue to do things like show movies at K-ville. I think this party Friday night is a good start...."

Share and discuss “Inclement weather forces officials to cancel 'beer gardens'” on social media.