Duke begins ACC schedule against Terrapins, Cavaliers

In order to score, you have to have the ball.

This is a seemingly simple idea, a lesson learned during the first day of practice in second grade. It is a lesson that the ninth-ranked women's soccer team has already relearned twice in its first five games.

In its three wins, Duke has outshot its opponent, 51-18. In their two losses-to No. 5 Connecticut and No. 3 Notre Dame-the Blue Devils have been outshot by a whopping margin of 50-7.

Duke will no doubt try to amend this situation this weekend when it travels north to open its ACC schedule against Maryland (1-3, 0-1 in the ACC) tonight and No. 15 Virginia (3-2) Sunday.

"We're getting chances," coach Bill Hempen said. "Sometimes they don't end in shots. Against Connecticut [which outshot Duke 33-3], they took shots at the end of chances and we didn't get shots on the end of ours.... I think I'd be more worried if we weren't getting chances."

That's not to say Hempen has nothing to worry about. Both the Terps and Cavaliers boast talented forwards who could exploit Duke's inconsistencies in time of possession. In the Wahoos' first five games, they have outshot their opponents, 120-57.

Although Maryland has struggled early and has dropped out of the rankings, it returns virtually the same roster that knocked Duke out of the ACC semis last year. The Terps boast a terrific one-two punch in forwards Keri Sarver-the tenth leading scorer in ACC history-and Emmy Harbo.

Also contributing to Hempen's shortage of Tylenol is the big game of musical chairs that is the Duke lineup card.

"If you look back at every lineup so far this year it's been different every game," he said. "We're still searching to find the right combination to provide the chemistry to make us a better team.... We're going to try to put some kids out on the field who can literally play for 90 minutes and hope for the best."

Just an hour before Thursday's practice, Hempen learned that starter Kasey Truman cannot make the trip due to illness. Freshman Mara Brain, who has seen some significant playing time, was injured last week against Hartford and will not be able to play until Wednesday. All this will lead to even more changes to the Blue Devil lineup.

The one positive medical report for Duke is the status of goalkeeper Isis Dallis. The freshman is recovering from a strained MCL and should start both games this weekend.

Hempen believes this weekend will not only test the Blue Devils' physical health, but also their mental health.

"It's an ACC weekend-the first one of these we've tried," Hempen said. "So we'll see if this is too much for the team emotionally and physically. It is our first ACC game, but having played five games, three against top-10 teams, we should be able to compete against them."

Share and discuss “Duke begins ACC schedule against Terrapins, Cavaliers” on social media.