Brooks looks to maintain consistency for Cavaliers in -98

A year ago, Virginia quarterback Aaron Brooks was considered something of a question mark. An outstanding scrambler, no one would question Brooks' athletic ability, but like most quarterbacks who seem to run first, throw later, questions loomed. Did he have the ability as a passer to lead a team consistently ranked in the top 20?

Seven games into last season, some of those fears seemed confirmed. Brooks had played well while leading his team to a 4-3 start, but he also wasn't turning any heads. In those first seven games, he threw six interceptions while mustering a mere six touchdown passes.

Now in 1998, some people are talking about a career as a pro quarterback and are naming him the ACC's best quarterback-an honor usually reserved for the man taking snaps in a Florida State uniform.

So what happened in the final month of 1997? Brooks went on a tear, throwing for over 1,000 yards in his final four games. Better yet, he threw 14 touchdowns against just one interception.

"Last season, as Brooks played more, he ended up seeing things quicker and recognizing defenses better," offensive coordinator Sparky Woods said. "I know Aaron has a reputation as a slow starter, and we sure can't afford that this year."

So now just one question hovers over the head of the senior quarterback: Can he deliver sooner?

"He can make all the plays," Woods said. "I wouldn't trade our quarterback for any other quarterback. I think he has the chance to be a really outstanding player.... I know he has a reputation of being a slow starter, but we can't afford that this year."

Brooks' incredible turnaround last year earned him the team's most improved player award. This preseason's most improved player is his partner in the backfield, tailback Thomas Jones.

"His body fat's down, his quickness is up, he's invested a lot of work," Woods said of the junior. "He looks really good. He's a very versatile player-he catches the ball, runs with it, he blocks, he's a very unselfish player.... He's a complete player."

Jones' 692 rushing yards last season were good for fourth on the conference list, and of the three above him, he's the only one returning for this year. Additionally, last season he had 127 receiving yards and Virginia coaches believe he'll catch more passes this season.

Part of the reason for this is the departure of wide receivers Germane Crowell and Bryan Owen. Crowell caught 53 passes for nearly 1,000 yards last season and finished his career ranked second on UVa's career list for receptions and fourth in receiving yards and touchdown catches.

"The big question mark here is the receivers," Woods said. "Germane was a guy who in most cases could win in those individual battles.... This is an adjustment period that we have to get through."

No matter how well the receiving corps performs, neither Brooks nor Jones will be effective if Virginia's offensive line does not improve. The linemen are certainly large enough to play at this level, but last year's 32 sacks allowed-including nine against FSU-are too many.

On the other side of the ball, the Cavaliers return eight starters, including All-American safety Anthony Poindexter, on a defense that was ranked 24th in the nation a year ago.

In January, Poindexter announced he would not make himself available for the NFL draft. Despite missing a good part of three games, Poindexter led Virginia in interceptions and was third in tackles. His return eases the departure of two defensive backs, but the group must finish with more than the 12 interceptions it had last season.

The Cavaliers are especially strong at linebacker, where they return leading tackler Wali Rainer (118 tackles, nine sacks) and sophomore Byron Thweatt. Thweatt was named to the first-team All-Freshman team, and should he continue to improve, would be a perfect compliment to Rainer.

The defensive line is led by seniors Antonio Dingle and Patrick Kerney. Dingle led linemen with 48 tackles last season, followed by Kerney's 45. The duo combined to force five fumbles, something the coaches are emphasizing in practice.

"We're hitting harder and we're a faster defensive team," defensive coordinator Rick Lantz said. "We'll knock the ball loose.... I think we have the chance to be the fastest defensive football team we've had since I've coached here."

Last year, the Cavaliers completed their 11th straight season of seven or more wins. The only other Division I-A schools to do that are FSU, Michigan and Nebraska. Despite that exclusive company, Virginia failed to receive a bowl bid, becoming the first ACC team with seven wins to be denied a bid since the 1992 Cavaliers.

Once again the Wahoos are in contention for the ACC silver medal and have a strong shot of playing in January. Whether or not they have the talent and luck to repeat 1995's miracle win over the Seminoles remains to be seen.

"I don't know [if we're closing the gap between UVa and FSU]," Woods said. "Florida State does a great job; they have great players. I do know this-Virginia's getting better."

Share and discuss “Brooks looks to maintain consistency for Cavaliers in -98” on social media.