Men's lacrosse faces Penn St. before start of NCAA tourney

Although Duke is just one game away from the NCAA Tournament, big changes are on the horizon for the men's lacrosse team.

Coach Mike Pressler has opened up the starting spot between the pipes, leaving senior Craig Seyffer and freshman Matt Breslin competing for the job. Seyffer has started every game this season and played tremendously for the most part. Following consecutive losses to Virginia, Pressler opened up the goalie spot to inspire a higher caliber of play in the cage.

"We needed better play from the goalie against UVa," Pressler said. "That's not to say Craig played poorly. He played well, but we just needed something better."

Last Saturday against Hobart, the coaching staff decided to give each keeper one half of playing time. Seyffer started and came up with nine saves while only allowing two goals. In the second half, Breslin came in and got off to a shaky start, giving up three goals in his first eight minutes. After he settled down, Breslin was impressive, giving up just one additional goal while utilizing his tremendous speed to make some impressive stops.

"We're very fortunate to have two outstanding goalies," Pressler said. "We have depth at that position. We're going to keep doing what we've been doing. We'll watch some tapes and make a decision."

While that decision will not come until later in the week, Pressler is considering every option. He has not ruled out the possibility of playing both keepers, subbing in at halftime. Because the two stoppers are opposite handed, the change midway through the game could throw off the opposing attacks' shot selection.

Whoever gets the nod will be expected to lead the team into the NCAAs. Duke has assured itself a seeding somewhere between six and 10. First, however, the Blue Devils travel to State College, Pa., Saturday afternoon to take on No. 15 Penn State. Duke-currently tied with Syracuse with a No. 6 national ranking-will not likely move up with a win because Virginia, which has beaten the Blue Devils twice, stands fifth.

The Nittany Lions lost an overtime game to Delaware their last time out and desperately need a win to have any shot at one of 12 NCAA Tournament berths.

"We will be playing a very desperate team," Pressler said. "They know if they lose to Duke, they're done. Penn State is going to give us everything it has, and then some."

After the Nittany Lions, Duke will have a first-round contest the weekend of May 9, at either Massachusetts or Johns Hopkins and against an opponent to be named later. Second-round action takes place the following weekend, and should the Blue Devils win, they would continue to Rutgers for their second consecutive Final Four appearance.

"Getting back to the Final Four has been the goal all season," senior attackman John Fay said. "Ever since I've been at college, appearing in a Final Four has been my goal. We did that last year, but it was disappointing to lose the way we did, [a 10-9 loss to Princeton]. Hopefully we'll get there again and play better."

The further Duke advances, the more chances Fay has to break the school's all-time goal record. Fay is currently 13 goals away, so in all likelihood, the Blue Devils may need to advance to the Final Four for him to have a shot at the record.

Still, for Fay and Duke, the goal is the NCAA Championship.

"We're very confident heading into this tournament," Pressler said. "We feel we're in the national championship hunt. When we are playing at our best, we can compete with any team in the country."

Share and discuss “Men's lacrosse faces Penn St. before start of NCAA tourney” on social media.