Duke women head to Chapel Hill to end winter break slate

To have seen the game is to have never forgotten it. To have seen the shot is to have never forgotten her. A young freshman dropped Carmichael Auditorium to its knees as she bolted the length of the court and smoothly sank a 12-foot jumper. The clock read :01.6. The scoreboard read Duke 86 UNC 85. The game was over and Hilary Howard's stardom had begun

In the two years and four match-ups since, no one has forgotten that game, especially Howard, who wrote herself into the history of one of sports greatest rivalries that day. So, with her third trip to Chapel Hill impending, there is no question what the number one item on Howard's Christmas list is.

"There is such an intense rivalry," Howard said. "We've had this game marked for a while, we're really psyched for it."

Of course, knocking off the Tar Heels (6-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) means more under the tree than just pride-it means a giant step toward the conference crown.

"[The Carolina games] are usually the biggest games of the season because we're battling it out with Carolina for the top spot in the ACC," Howard said.

But last year's ACC Player of the Year Tracy Reid will be looking to leave lumps of coal in the Blue Devils' stockings.

"Nobody can stop Tracy Reid," Duke coach Gail Goestenkors said, "not one person, not anybody on any team."

However, the Blue Devils may be able to counter UNC with an improved front court. According to Howard, this could prove to be what brings the Blue Devils a little post-Christmas cheer.

"We're much tougher on the inside now," Howard said. "This year we're going to have the toughness to match up with them.

"We have to really take care of the ball and execute. They're a real talented team, so we have to play within ourselves and have everyone step up."

Share and discuss “Duke women head to Chapel Hill to end winter break slate” on social media.