The Guy Who Wrote the "Detachable Penis" Song

I knew that headline would get your attention. Well, kids, a long time ago, there was a band called King Missile. They were pretty wacky, singing songs like "Jesus Was Way Cool" and "I'm A Sensitive Artist." They had this completely deadpan singer. His name is John S. Hall. His lyrics were so good that they can be poetry. And what do you know-some of them have been compiled in a volume of poetry and published by Soft Skull Press as Jesus Was Way Cool. It's good. Don't believe me? It was good enough for a National Book Award nomination.

John S. Hall will be reading in the last event of the hip, happenin' Blackburn Literary Festival, along with Henry Baum and Jordan Green. The reading is part of a national tour and will hit this lovely corner of the South on Friday, April 25, at 6:30 p.m. at the Marketplace at the East Campus Union. (Whew! That's a lot of info for one sentence.) You want to go see the other authors besides Hall: Baum is the author of Oscar Caliber Gun, a fun little story about a security guard turned Hollywood assassin. You could say it's wish fulfillment. We didn't get much press on Jordan Green, but we're sure he's good, too. Admission is free, so you have no excuse for not being there. -Kat

Share and discuss “The Guy Who Wrote the "Detachable Penis" Song” on social media.