Men's lacrosse to face No. 19 Harvard at Sacred Heart

You know you have a tough schedule when a 19th-ranked opponent is the easiest competition you've faced in weeks.

That's the case for the No. 4 men's lacrosse team, which travels to Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Conn., to face Harvard this afternoon at 12:30.

Duke (5-1) plays the second-hardest schedule in the nation this season-all but one of the Blue Devils' games have been against top-20 teams. The 3-1 Crimson, on the other hand, has battled much weaker opposition, its only loss coming to now-No. 16 Hartford in overtime last Wednesday.

"A big thing is all but one of our wins [against top-20 opponents] have been one-goal wins," senior defenseman Tyler Hardy said. "Having played all these tough teams and coming out on top, it should definitely favor us in close games."

The Blue Devils will be looking to avenge last season's home loss to Harvard. Duke entered that game 5-2 and ranked eighth in the nation but fell to the No. 16 Crimson 15-13, the start of a four-game losing streak for the Blue Devils. Harvard went on to a 12-3 record and a second-place finish in the Ivy League-its best since 1990-and upset sixth-seeded Hofstra in the first round of the NCAA Tournament before falling to No. 3 seed Virginia in the quarterfinals.

Mike Ferrucci led the way for the Crimson in last year's win, tallying a game-high seven points. Last season, the attackman was ninth in the country in goals per game, earning Honorable Mention All-America Honors. Ferrucci currently leads Harvard with 15 goals and 21 points in four games.

Another junior attackman, Jim Bevilacqua, is second on the Crimson in points with 16, including 11 assists. Despite losing 1996 New England Player of the Year Mike Eckert to graduation, Harvard's high-powered attack has managed to outscore opponents 52-35 so far this season.

"On defense we have to play excellent in man-down situations," Hardy said. "We're confident if we can hold teams to eight goals that we can win."

Fellow senior defenseman Greg Ehrnman will have the responsibility of slowing down Ferrucci, with the other Blue Devil defenders helping out if the Crimson attackman gets free. Hardy said Harvard would probably use a similar offensive set to Brown's-the only team to beat Duke this season-sending its short sticks behind the Duke goal.

The Crimson defense is anchored by senior Jeremy Linzee, a second-team All-Ivy League selection last season. Other than Linzee, Harvard features a young defense, with a junior and two freshmen having played in all four games. Senior goalie Rob Lyng, a four-year starter, has a 8.61 goals against average in 1997.

"The key [on offense] will be for us to move well off the ball," Hardy said. "We need to set picks so it will be tough for them to see the ball and their man. You can score goals off the ball against a younger defense. We also need to generate offense from our defense. Since they'll be sending their short sticks behind the goal we should have opportunities for fast breaks."

According to Hardy, the Crimson need to upset Duke in order to improve its chances of making the 12-team NCAA field. Harvard will have to knock off a sizzling Blue Devil squad, which is coming off three straight wins over top-eight teams.

Senior midfielder Jim Gonnella and junior attackman John Fay have paced Duke on offense with 21 points apiece. Fay has 15 goals and six assists while Gonnella has the opposite, six goals and 15 assists. Senior goalie Joe Kirmser has been solid, compiling a 7.5 goals against average.

While upperclassmen top the Blue Devils statistically, several newcomers have made significant contributions. Freshmen Nick Hartofolis, Chris Kakel, Jared Frood and T. J. Durnan have combined for 22 goals and seven assists this season.

"The younger players have a lot of confidence in themselves and that has a lot to do with the senior leadership," Hardy said. "The underclassmen have been stepping up and contributing and that's been a big part of our success."

Share and discuss “Men's lacrosse to face No. 19 Harvard at Sacred Heart” on social media.