Bertrand hopes to use final season as step to pro career

When people think about college athletics, they usually think about the revenue sports of football and basketball, with their television contracts, sneaker deals and players leaving before graduation to reap millions in the pros. But there are thousands of varsity athletes at colleges across the country competing far from the limelight, doing their best to help their teams while balancing sport and studies.

Erik Bertrand, a senior on the men's golf team, is one of those student-athletes. He has the third-best scoring average on the 26th-ranked Blue Devils, while also maintaining the rigorous academic schedule of a civil engineering major.

"That he can juggle studies and contribute to the team is inspiring to the other guys trying to balance school and golf," said senior Jason Buha, Duke's top golfer.

Bertrand, however, doesn't believe his balancing act is so difficult.

"I think my coach and the other athletes think it's more than it really is," he said. "I manage to make my schedule so it's more spread out. It can be time consuming with the labs, and I have to miss practice here and there, but mostly I've been able to practice and play as much as everyone else."

Bertrand, a native of Tampa, Fla., has been playing golf since he was a kid. His father played football at the University of Kentucky and his mother swam at Texas Tech, so sports were always a major part of his life.

"I followed my dad when I was pretty young when he went golfing with his buddies," Bertrand said. "I just went out there and hung out."

He played basketball and baseball until his sophomore year in high school, when he decided to completely focus his attention on golf. Bertrand became a two-time all-conference, three-time all-district and honorable mention all-state selection at Vivian Gaither High School in Tampa. When it came time to choose a college, the 6-foot-5 Bertrand looked for a school which could offer a strong combination of academics and athletics. He said he considered some schools north of the Mason-Dixon line, but eventually determined he preferred to remain in the South.

In his four years at Duke, Bertrand's numbers have steadily improved. He averaged a 79 as a freshman, finishing 58th at the John Ryan Iron Duke Fall Classic. This year he is averaging a 75 through 17 rounds. His top finish this past fall was 12th at the Kiawah Island Intercollegiate Tournament in South Carolina on Sept. 9-10, helping the Blue Devils achieve a second-place finish.

Bertrand knows that his job is to contribute to the team, not garner individual accolades. He said the most exhilarating experience in his college career was Duke's other second-place finish this past fall, at the Keswick Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville, Va., on Sept. 21-22, when it used a strong finish to tie now-No. 9 Florida and beat five Atlantic Coast Conference squads.

"I was really excited to be a part of that, also with a teammate [Buha] winning," Bertrand said. "We had a new number five [golfer] and everyone was unsure coming in, but we pulled it out."

This year the Blue Devils have a young team, and as one of only two seniors, Bertrand has had to assume more of a leadership role. But he said he sees himself as more of a quiet leader who helps bring the team together away from the golf course.

"I hope I bring a little personality and humor," Bertrand said. "I'm always making the jokes for some reason, getting a lighter atmosphere on trips. A couple of years ago, when I was a sophomore, it always seemed like everyone was uptight. There were a lot of personality problems. This year is unbelievable. The camaraderie, it just clicked. I'd like to think I brought a little of that."

On the links, according to his teammates, Bertrand is more reserved and focused.

"He's a quieter guy on the course, definitely laid back," Buha said. "He has the best attitude, never quits, has got control of himself and his emotions.... He never blows up or gets overly excited."

Bertrand sees his driving game as his strength , but credits coach Rod Myers for encouraging him to improve his putting over his career. As the Duke golfers prepare for their spring season, which kicks off Feb. 24-25 at the Puerto Rico Invitational, Bertrand said he wants to work on his play in tournament qualifiers-an area he has struggled at in the past-and "solidify the third spot" on the team behind Buha and freshman Mike Christensen.

While his career as a Blue Devil ends this spring, Bertrand hopes his golf career will only be beginning. He'll go home to Florida over the summer and turn pro.

"Hopefully I'll feel it out and give it a try," Bertrand said. "Depending on how well I do and the money I'll continue. If not, I'll use my degree to get a job. But I want to give golf a shot."

Share and discuss “Bertrand hopes to use final season as step to pro career” on social media.