N.C. State edges women, buries men in swimming

Experiments with training and practice paid off for the women's swim team, as they performed better than expected against N.C. State on Friday. However, both the men's and women's teams lost their meets, bringing both teams to a 1-5 record overall and an 0-3 record in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Scheduled to face ACC powerhouses UNC and N.C. State within the span of a few days, the Blue Devils knew they were up for a humbling week. After Wednesday's loss to UNC, the women's team's 138-102 loss to N.C. State and the men's team's final score of 170-68 were not unexpected.

"They're meets where we're out-classed," said head coach Bob Thompson. "No matter what we do, we couldn't win the meet."

Thompson used the meet to swim Blue Devils in events that they were unaccustomed to.

"They were swimming some different events," he said. "Events that they will have to swim at ACC's, but events that they wouldn't get to swim at an ordinary dual meet."

Several swimmers turned in outstanding performances, even though they weren't swimming their key events. Sophomore Lizzy Holt's swim of 25.89 in the 50-meter freestyle gave her a victory, even though Holt usually swims butterfly.

Senior Abby Huggins, who specializes in the 50 and 100-meter freestyle, moved up to a longer distance as she won the 200 freestyle in 1.58.17.

The men's team did not have as much success, winning only the 200-meter freestyle relay.

"In our program, our men's and women's teams are very equal as far as the level and the ability," Thompson said. "In NC State's situation, their men's program is much stronger than their ladies'."

The men's finish in the meet was certainly not due to a lack of practice. To combat problems with lack of sleep earlier in the season, Duke had not held 6 a.m. morning practices in the week before a meet. However, the change in practice schedules did not produce the desired results.

"It was an experiment and I wasn't real pleased," Thompson said. "We were a little disappointed with our earlier dual meets."

Thompson went back to holding morning practices for the UNC and N.C. State meets, and feels that the Blue Devils have benefited.

"In my mind, we swam better this week," he said.

Duke also improved during Thanksgiving break, because the team stayed in Durham and trained.

"It helps a whole lot when they have the opportunity to get in there and train when they don't have to go to class," said Thompson.

The Blue Devils will also use Winter break to train, as they travel to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Their next meet is not until after the break on Jan. 18, when they will face Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern.

Share and discuss “N.C. State edges women, buries men in swimming” on social media.