Versatile Carrawell hopes to add to winning formula

In the world of sports, a few key athletes can make a substantial difference.

In a season predicted to be Duke basketball's comeback year, freshman forward Chris Carrawell will be a crucial catalyst in the return of the Blue Devils to the upper echelon of college basketball. Although the 6-foot-6, 210-lb. swingman is but one of a plethora of new faces, he is bound to stand out from the crowd.

Carrawell's greatest asset is perhaps his versatility. While he demonstrates remarkable prowess in the frontcourt-at Cardinal Ritter High School in St. Louis, Mo., Carrawell holds the school records for points, rebounds and assists-the position of guard is not completely unfamiliar to him. Carrawell feels that he can and will do whatever it takes to aid in Duke's quest for a victorious season.

"I'll do anything the team needs," Carrawell said. "I can play anywhere on the court. If I have to score, I can do that. Rebounds, assists, playing defense, anything the coach wants me to contribute, I can do.... I just want to get some playing time and help the team out any way I can."

Although the regular season has not yet begun, Carrawell has already made a tremendous impact, averaging 11.0 points and 4.0 rebounds in the Blue Devils' exhibition games against the Upstate All-Stars and the Melbourne Tigers.

Basketball has been a major part of Carrawell's life since childhood. A multi-faceted athlete, he also played baseball and soccer. His love for basketball, however, won out over the other two sports and propelled him to concentrate solely on realizing his own hoop dreams.

Carrawell apparently made the right choice, as his dedication led him to be the star of his high school squad, which won back-to-back state championships his junior and senior years. In addition to his multiple records, he also earned Parade All-America and three-time All-State honors.

These achievements did not come easily, as Carrawell has battled recurring shoulder injuries throughout high school. He underwent surgery on his left shoulder during the summer of 1995 and had his right shoulder operated on last summer. Despite these setbacks, Carrawell has recovered fully, and he does not expect his injuries to hinder his play.

Many top-notch programs vied for a commitment from Carrawell, but he chose Duke during the early signing period last November. Carrawell opted for Duke not only for its basketball team, but also because of its academic and social opportunities.

"Academically, athletically and socially Duke was the best place for me," Carrawell said. "It has a beautiful campus, a great atmosphere, and there are a lot of nice people around here.... Other schools were all right, but I had to go with Duke. Basically it's a great school."

One factor affecting Carrawell's decision was the chance to play for coach Mike Krzyzewski. He had always hoped to work under Krzyzewski's tutelage, so the opportunity to become a Blue Devil was one that he could not turn down.

"He's a great coach," Carrawell said. "Growing up watching him, I always wanted to play for him, but I never thought I ever would. Everybody knows he's a great coach, and he is. He helps you out; he wants to help you with things to make you a better player in the long run, and he's a funny guy too. He's just a great coach all around."

The assistant coaches and the returning players, as well as Krzyzewski, have helped ease Carrawell's and freshmen Mike Chappell and Nate James' transition from high school to college. Carrawell feels a tremendous amount of support and camaraderie from the rest of the squad, and he relies on them both on and off the court.

"The whole team gets along," Carrawell said. "There are no egos. Everybody likes each other. Nobody's jealous of one another. We all stick together. Nobody envies anyone else on the team, and that's going to make for a great team."

Carrawell has formed a particularly strong bond with Chappell and James. He has known Chappell for about three years through various basketball programs, and they were close friends before their matriculation to Duke. The two also quickly befriended James upon their arrival at Duke. Carrawell, James and Chappell are roommates who are inseparable off the court as well as on.

"[Carrawell] is such a great athlete," James said. "You can tell that he's had really good coaching.... He's a fun guy to be around if you're ever feeling down. He brightens up people's days."

During this season of rebuilding, Carrawell will definitely be a bright spot for Duke. His scoring and assisting ability will contribute to the offense, and his versatility as a player will add depth wherever the Blue Devils need it. Carrawell has high expectations for the season, and he is determined to persevere in order to achieve them.

"I expect us to be real good," Carrawell said. "We need to do a lot of work, but by the end of the season, we should be one of the top teams in the country."

Share and discuss “Versatile Carrawell hopes to add to winning formula” on social media.