Governor addresses education concerns

Following an old-fashioned barbecue and singing by local church choirs, Governor Jim Hunt addressed a cheering crowd of Democrats at a rally at the National Guard Armory in Durham on Friday.

Topping Hunt's list of campaign issues was education, which he said needs to be strengthened with respect to the first few years of the educational process.

"I figured out that if we're really going to make schools work we're going to have to help our children in the earliest, most formative years," he said.

Specifically, Hunt praised Smart Start, a program that focuses on improving elementary education through smaller classes and increased staffing. Smart Start, which currently exists in Durham County and several other areas of the state, Hunt said, should be expanded to all 100 North Carolina counties.

Rep. Paul Leubke, D-Durham, pointed to education reform as one of the major issues that separates Hunt from his opponent, North Carolina House of Representatives majority leader, Robin Hayes, R-Cabarrus.

"Governor Hunt has a number of education initiatives that Robin Hayes really doesn't have," Luebke said. "I served with Robin Hayes on the board of Smart Start... he fought it all the way. Even though he was invited to participate and become a positive force, he ended up being a negative force about Smart Start."

Durham resident Joyce Nichols said education would play a major role in her decision at the polls. "I have an 8 year old grandchild... and so I would like to see education improve in North Carolina because we are too low as it relates to the national average with reading [and] math."

Hunt also singled out violence in schools and teacher salaries as two issues that he plans to resolve if reelected.

For students who repeatedly demonstrate violent or destructive behavior, Hunt said he promises to place them in alternative schools. "I want to make sure that every school in North Carolina is a safe school. I want a zero tolerance for guns-no guns in schools in North Carolina, anywhere. And a zero tolerance for drugs and violence and troublemakers," he said to an applauding crowd.

Hunt also said state teacher salaries should be raised to at least the national average. He added that North Carolina currently ranks 42nd in the nation in teacher salaries. "We're going to have to raise standards, we're going to have to support those teachers, be behind them," he said. "And I want us to commit right now here tonight and with our votes on Nov. 5-we are going to pay teachers like professionals."

Enforcing child support laws would be crucial in ensuring a future for North Carolina's youth, Hunt said, citing recently enacted legislation concerning the enforcement of child support payments. "[Starting] Dec. 1 if you don't obey the child support order and send the money to your children we're going to be able to take your driver's license. We're even going to be able to get a hunting and fishing license," he said.

Sen. Jeanne Lucas, D-New Hanover, introduced the governor at the rally. "We have Smart Start, smaller classes and fewer guns in schools. We need to finish the job," she said. Lucas also lauded Hunt's handling of the state's economy, which she said is currently experiencing record new job creation and lower taxes.

"Many of you know that I have worked my head off all my life to help bring in new jobs," Hunt said. "This party is about opportunities for children and jobs for parents. And we want people to have good jobs. If we're going to have good jobs we have to have good education."

"We found out a few years ago... that we were slipping in terms of our competitiveness... Because of some tax advantages and other things, we weren't getting our share of the companies," he added, stating that many state jobs were previously being lost to states like South Carolina, Virginia and Ohio. With the assistance of Democratic legislators who helped pass appropriate tax credits, Hunt said, that trend is being reversed.

"Jim Hunt has done a good job in the past and he is still doing a good job," said Sandy Daughtry, a Durham resident. "I feel like he has brought in a lot of jobs and a lot of industry that we didn't have before."

Bob Etheridge, head of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the Democratic candidate in the second Congressional district, said he agreed."I think leadership is the key. Jim Hunt has shown that he can provide leadership," he said. "I have worked with Jim Hunt over the years and nobody has ever questioned that he believes in those foundation issues that make the difference in the state."

Share and discuss “Governor addresses education concerns” on social media.