Hayes pushes conservative agenda

As a conservative, Hayes appears to have strong support, particularly in light of the outcome of the 1994 state congressional elections when Republicans took control of both houses for the first time in nearly 120 years.

As the state House's majority whip, Hayes helped to introduce and implement parts of the "Contract With North Carolina," which is similar in content to the U.S. House's "Contract With America." While a few aspects of the state contract are awaiting approval by the state Senate, Hayes has helped to pass measures that put veto power for the governor on the November ballot for referendum, cut the state income tax and initiate criminal justice and educational reforms.

"The difference [between the two contracts] is that we have delivered," Hayes said.

While Hayes is just completing his second two-year term, he said that he prides himself on his steadfast conservatism, as indicated by his achievements in the House.

"I have a conservative philosophy backed up by a consistent conservative record," Hayes said.

Reflecting his right-wing political stance, the center of Hayes' economic platform calls for a repeal of the 4 percent state food tax. The tax was originally passed as a temporary measure by Governor Terry Sanford in 1961. Hayes criticized Hunt for failing to repeal the tax during his 12 years in office.

"Four no more," said Hayes, in reference to the food tax, as well as a fourth term for Hunt.

Hayes' platform is not limited only to state finances.

Criminal justice reform is another issue that Hayes has already begun to address. He has worked successfully to pass measures that will expedite the appeals process for capital offenses, cap punitive damages in liability cases and repeal the prison cap.

Education reform is another major issue that Hayes will face in the upcoming November election. He has already helped pass a bill that will decentralize the state's school systems and cut back on the Department of Public Instruction.

Furthering his plans to reform education, Hayes is currently co-sponsoring the School of Choice Program, which will provide a voucher or tax credit for parents who have children attending private or parochial schools.

Hayes added that he is also promoting the Charter School Program, which would institute local-rather than centralized-control over the organization of local school systems. "Parents and the local board will do a much better job than a bureaucracy," he said.

Family values are another part of Hayes' platform that reflects the new conservative blood flowing through the state's veins.

With the help of the Republican majority, Hayes has already managed to "wipe out" the governor's abortion fund and reform laws in order to restrict teenage abortion. He has also helped to initiate reform in public schools' sex education programs and to put voluntary prayer back in school "where it should be."

Hayes criticized Hunt for the red tape and political patronage that, he said, inhibited Hunt from making any significant progress while he was in office. Such ineptitude is epitomized by North Carolina's ranking 48th in the nation in education, Hayes said.

Hayes further criticized Hunt for failing to initiate a tax cut and failing to institute prison reform during his current two-term tenure. He pointed to the governor's spending of the state's $1.2 billion surplus during the 1993-94 legislative session as typical for a "tax and spend" Democrat.

"He's like Bill Clinton," he said. "There's no problem a new government program won't solve. Republicans believe in individual freedom and responsibility."

Share and discuss “Hayes pushes conservative agenda” on social media.