Field hockey still can't top Maryland

The Duke field hockey team experienced mixed emotions this past weekend.

After a convincing 7-1 victory over Villanova on a sunny Saturday at the East Campus Turf Field, the 20th-ranked Blue Devils were riding high with emotion. Sophomore sensation Melissa Panasci scored four goals, which earned her a spot in the Atlantic Coast Conference record books. Panasci set the ACC single-season scoring record as her 30 goals eclipsed the 28 tallies of Maryland's Lisa Buente in 1990.

Sunday's home contest with Maryland at the West Campus Turf Field featured much of the same--beautiful weather, positive emotions and additional Panasci heroics. But unfortunately different results were produced as the Blue Devils fell 3-1 to the No. 3 Terrapins in a game dominated by physical and aggressive play.

The second half belonged to Maryland as it wore down Duke senior goalkeeper Heather Moles with a flurry of offensive activity. The Terrapins' hard work was rewarded at the 18:44 mark when Christine Debow scored off of a penalty corner to break a 1-1 deadlock.

Duke continued to battle the bigger and more physical Terrapins as junior midfielder Alison DeLeo made a dramatic save on the goal line with 16:55 remaining. But DeLeo wasn't as fortunate with 8:42 remaining when a ball deflected off of her left foot and into the goal to push the Maryland lead to 3-1.

Duke (9-11, 1-7 ACC) honored its five seniors before the start of Sunday's game--the final home contest of the season. The Blue Devils capitalized on their early enthusiasm as Panasci stroked a hard, low shot by Maryland goalkeeper Alana Eliwatt at the 28:49 mark to take a 1-0 lead. Panasci's 31st goal of the season was assisted by seniors Tamara Gehris and Nicole Osmers.

"This was the best game I have seen Melissa play," head coach Jacki Silar said. "She really used her quickness to her advantage as she was able to outcut the [Maryland] defenders."

Maryland junior Sara Forbes of Perth, Australia, was a very large anchor of the defense and her size and power proved to be both a strength and weakness for the Terps.

"[Forbes] has a lot of good skills, but she obviously lacks a little bit in speed," Panasci said. "I was able to cut back to the ball quickly and, once you've got a step on her, she's beat."

Forbes was quick to credit Panasci's ability after the game.

"I had heard a lot about [Panasci] and her scoring record," Forbes said. "I was a bit scared of her going into the game. She's a great player and she ended up playing really well."

But the Blue Devils were not able to consistently pass the ball to Panasci as Maryland shut down Duke's passing lanes in the second half.

Saturday's 7-1 victory over Villanova was business as usual for the Blue Devils. Duke has yet to lose to a non-ranked team and the outcome of this game was never in question. Panasci's four goals were the highlight as Duke outshot the Wildcats 32 to 20.

"[Saturday's game] could have been prettier, but we'll take it," Silar said. "We were able to beat everyone we were supposed to beat this year."

Unfortunately for the Blue Devils, they are 1-9 against teams ranked in the top 10. Duke will now prepare for the ACC tournament which begins on Friday in College Park, Md. The fifth-seeded Blue Devils will face fourth-seeded Wake Forest in the first round.

"We are too good of a team to lose in the first round," Silar said. "We're planning on a win."

Share and discuss “Field hockey still can't top Maryland” on social media.