East gym to close for major renovations

East Campus's Memorial Gymnasium will be closed for renovations during the spring semester.

In reaction, some East residents said that the recent news comes as a shock and will inconvenience them greatly.

"Hardly anyone knew, no one warned us ahead of time, to think of alternatives," said Paul Gronke, assistant professor of political science, who resides in Pegram dormitory as a faculty-in-residence.

While the Board of Trustees-approved plan to perform a $5 million upgrade to East's facilities begins to show its effects, the administration is looking into a plan to move most of the existing equipment into the Down Under in the basement of Gilbert-Addoms dormitory.

"We have to provide some sort of recreation for the freshmen on East Campus," said Leroy Skinner, director of intramural athletics and sports clubs.

Freshmen who exercise frequently said that they have been trekking over to Card Gym on West Campus due to the more abundant equipment.

"I go to the West Gym because I don't have to wait for what I want to use because they have so many stairmasters and bikes, along with tons of Nautilus equipment," said Trinity freshman Geeta Arora.

Duke Student Government officials have suggested providing shuttle service directly to Card Gym for East Campus residents .

Calla Raynor, director of East Campus facilities, said the renovations, which include the addition of a larger weight room with new equipment and basketball courts, are expected to be completed by next fall. The renovations originally were slated to begin last summer but plans did not materialize, Raynor said.

"It is unfortunate that it has to take place during the school year with so many freshmen living on East," she said.

East Campus residents agree that the repairs are needed, but question the timing of the renovations.

"I am glad they are renovating it because now it is archaic and useless. But this should have been done over the summer," said Trinity freshman Mike Clarfeld. "I don't think it makes much sense to have a whole campus for freshmen, and build an eating facility, yet not finish a recreational one."

Many residents said that the Memorial Gym facilities are inadequate, and the renovations would exasperate the situation.

"There is already such a shortage of athletic facilities--with intramurals and team practices--courts are rarely open anyway," said Trinity freshman Nate McGovern. "There will be only two indoor courts [in Card Gym] available for six thousand students."

As a result of the year-long construction project, freshmen currently living on East Campus said they will not be able to utilize the improved gym conveniently.

"I like the fact that it will be a great gym next year, when I will be on West," said engineering freshman Brent Daniel, "and I will have to take the bus to get there."

The renovations will also force the participants of the American Dance Festival to find an alternative practice venue next summer. ADF rehearsals, classes and informal showings during the summer have traditionally been held in the gym because it offers ample space.

"With the unique size of the space, the fact that we use if from eight in the morning 'til ten at night, it's obviously quite an inconvenience," said Joseph Fedrowitz, director of school operations for ADF. "When the renovations are done and there's going to be more space, it'll be great." Fedrowitz said that ADF officials are still discussing various alternatives with the University.

Another consequence of the renovations will be the relocation of all physical education classes normally held on East, including tennis and aerobics, to West Campus.

In addition, residents who use the gym regularly will be left with limited recreational facilities next month when the East racquetball courts are scheduled to close, Raynor said.

Share and discuss “East gym to close for major renovations” on social media.