Law students, faculty mourn loss of student

Law school faculty and students are coping with the loss of first-year law student Jason Haight, whom one professor described as having the makings of a natural lawyer.

Haight, 22, was killed while bicycling at the corner of Cornwallis Road and Kerley Road late Thursday afternoon. He apparently missed the intersection's stop sign, was struck by a truck and died at the scene of the accident.

"Jason was very generous, honest and friendly," said Barry Rothberg, a first-year law student and close friend of Jason. "He always made an effort to talk to everyone, and he was eager and willing to do favors for anyone."

Haight came to Duke in June as a joint degree candidate, focusing on international and comparative law, said Susan Sockwell, associate dean for student affairs at the law school.

"His record coming in was excellent and he had already shown great potential here," Sockwell said. Haight was scheduled to graduate in May of 1998 with a J.D./LL.M. degree.

Tom Rowe, professor and senior associate dean for academic affairs at the law school, said that Haight stood out as a very promising student. Rowe said he had the impression that Haight would make for a natural lawyer. "He was an independent thinker," Rowe said.

According to a biography written for his memorial service, Haight was born in Gillete, Wyoming, where he attended Campbell County High School and graduated as valedictorian in 1991. Haight then went on to attend George Washington University.

During his four years at George Washington, Haight was enrolled in the honors program as a Presidential Scholar. He was a member of the Intercollegiate Debate Team and the Interfraternity Council.

Rothberg said that in addition to his outstanding intelligence, Haight was well respected by all of his peers and was extremely outgoing.

"He was an avid debater and was always ready to get into a friendly argument," Rothberg said.

Rothberg said that Haight also was a person who loved the outdoors and enjoyed hiking, biking and rock climbing. On the day of the accident, Haight had been bicycling through Duke Forest with his friend Jonathan Kaye, also a first-year law student, Rothberg said. Kaye was riding a short distance behind Haight when the accident occurred.

A memorial service will be held on Thursday at 12:15 p.m. in the Duke Chapel.

Share and discuss “Law students, faculty mourn loss of student” on social media.