New dean of student development to arrive Aug. 21

The University's new dean of student development is making a change in color: from an Orangewoman to a Blue Devil.

After a summer-long national search, Barbara Baker of Syracuse University has been named the new dean of student development and residential education for the University.

Baker, who has served as the director of the office of residence life at Syracuse since 1990, will fill the redefined position, which was previously shared by Karen Steinour and Suzanne Wasiolek.

The position was vacated after both women chose to pursue other careers. Wasiolek left in October 1994 to join a local law firm, and Steinour departed in January for a psychological counseling position at the federal correctional institution in Butner.

Baker, who will report directly to Janet Dickerson, vice president for student affairs, will be primarily responsible for implementing the new plan for residential life.

Dickerson said that Baker's tremendous experience was the principal reason that she was chosen for the position.

"She has experience as a manager of a residence life program in a major university, which includes managing a large budget as well as a large professional staff," Dickerson said. "She is well regarded among her professional colleagues nationally."

Baker's co-workers at Syracuse praised her abilities. Cindy Felice, associate director of residence life at Syracuse, said she has enjoyed working with Baker for the past 13 years. "I find [Baker] to be a very dynamic and creative person," Felice said. "She has the ability to create an atmosphere of strong commitment to students and a strong sense of teamwork among her staff."

Edward Golden, vice president for student affairs at Syracuse, said that Baker has been very committed to her students. "She is a very real person," Golden said. "She listens very well to her students and her staff."

Golden said that Baker was instrumental in helping to make his arrival at Syracuse seven years ago a smooth one. "She is a very personable, approachable professional person and is very good at building bridges in the community, " Golden said.

Baker said that when she arrives at the University on Aug. 21, her top priorities will be to learn about and understand the Duke community and then to work to implement the residential plan.

Although Baker is arriving in the wake of controversy about changes in residential life, she said she is looking forward to the challenges that the University will present. "Duke has a wonderful reputation and my good feelings were confirmed when I came to visit the University," Baker said.

Chuck Vansant, acting dean of student development, said that these challenges will present themselves immediately. "There'll be no honeymoon," he said. "She'll have to come in, work quickly and be responsible for an ambitious [residential] plan."

To curb difficulties, Baker said that she will listen to all viewpoints surrounding an issue.

"But once consensus has emerged, it is important to move forward and implement the plan by working with the campus community," she said.

Moreover, Baker said that she will bring enthusiasm and energy to the position. "I am really interested in learning about the Duke community and in making this thing work," she said.

Share and discuss “New dean of student development to arrive Aug. 21” on social media.