Professor's document violates tenure process

A Divinity School professor's public attack on a colleague up for tenure has violated University rules on confidentiality.

About two weeks ago, Lloyd Bailey, an associate professor at the Divinity School, mailed a 40-page document to more than 100 United Methodist Church leaders statewide, as well as to the members of the Divinity School's Board of Visitors, concerning the ongoing tenure case of Mary McClintock Fulkerson, an assistant professor at the Divinity School.

The document, which contained material from Fulkerson's tenure file, encouraged church officials to pressure Divinity School faculty and administrators to deny her tenure.

The Divinity School receives about $1 million a year from the United Methodist Church, comprising about 20 percent of its budget, said Dennis Campbell, dean of the Divinity School. Although the school is officially affiliated with the United Methodist Church, Campbell stressed that the church has never exercised direct governance over the institution and has no influence on tenure decisions.

The incident both raises questions about the security of tenure review, which is shrouded in secrecy, and points to fundamental differences between Bailey's and Fulkerson's views about the role of women and homosexuals in the church.

"She is one of the only faculty members at the Divinity School to address the problems of gays and lesbians both in the church and in the Divinity School," said Dale Martin, assistant professor of religion. "I think that's one of the reasons she's getting attacked."

The packet includes a copy of a letter Bailey had previously sent to Campbell regarding Fulkerson's tenure case. Distributing material from a tenure file is considered a breach of confidentiality.

John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs, and Campbell said it is unclear at this point what actions may be taken in response to Bailey's actions.

"I'm unaware that we've ever had a situation quite like this one," Burness said.

University officials say confidentiality is vital in tenure cases. "Tenure is probably the most important decision a University can make," Burness said. Comparing tenure review to the search for a university president, he added that, "If that confidentiality is violated, [the University is] dead."

The Academic Council's confidentiality policy states that except for material submitted by the candidate, the entire tenure file is confidential.

"These processes are honored across academic communities across the world," Campbell said.

A recently released statement from the Divinity School's Office of Communications says, "We sincerely regret that a breach of this confidentiality has occurred." The Divinity School's Board of Visitors also passed a resolution stating that "a violation of the confidential process has occurred."

Bailey's letter states that "No divinity school which presents itself to alumni and potential contributors as a `servant to the church' can with any integrity place a generation of ministerial students into the instruction of such a person as Fulkerson," according to the Raleigh News and Observer.

Opposing ideologies may be at the core of the incident. Bailey's teaching focuses on the Old Testament and Hebrew, while Fulkerson, a specialist in feminist theology and women in the church, does not believe that the church should discriminate against gays and lesbians.

Bailey's document argues that Fulkerson's recent book implies the Bible is oppressive or irrelevant, Martin said. He added that Fulkerson actually argues that feminist theologians should not disregard the Bible, but try to figure out how women in the church should read and interpret it.

"I can't believe Lloyd Bailey even read her book [based on his comments]," Martin said.

Fulkerson declined to comment on Bailey's document.

"Until it is decided, it would be inappropriate for me to say anything public regarding my tenure case," she said. Fulkerson said a decision on the case is tentatively scheduled to be announced by the end of the calendar year.

Fulkerson began teaching at the Divinity School in 1983, when she was completing her doctorate with Vanderbilt University. She also teaches for the women's studies department.

Campbell praised her academic and personal performance at the Divinity School.

"We know her well. She's an experienced and consistently fine teacher and a wonderful citizen of the Divinity School and the University," he said.

Bailey has been a member of the Divinity School faculty since 1971. He could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Professor's document violates tenure process” on social media.