Candidate calls for student 'awareness'

The Democratic candidate for North Carolina's 2nd Congressional District encouraged students to take an active interest in national politics in a speech Wednesday.

Richard Moore, a native of Granville, N.C., spoke to a crowd of 40 students at a Duke Democrats-sponsored rally on the main West Campus Quad.

Moore, 34, has worked as a federal prosecutor and is currently the youngest Democrat in the North Carolina House of Representatives.

Moore said he spoke on campus because he wants to "create as much awareness on political issues as possible" among college students.

"I think I have a lot more in common with students than most officeholders," Moore said.

Moore countered the stereotype that college students are uninterested in national and global affairs.

"Watching MTV and CNN are not mutually exclusive," he said. "Just because you watch MTV, that doesn't make you less substantive. If I'm elected, I'll probably be one of the few congressmen up in D.C. to have watched both."

Moore emphasized the crucial role that education plays in ensuring the quality of life. He earned a bachelor's degree and a law degree from Wake Forest University, as well a graduate degree in accounting and finance from the London School of Economics.

"Education is the only thing to ensure that the next generation enjoys a better quality of life than we do," he said. "There is a strong need for superior intellectual and work skills if we are to compete in today's global economy.

"We must encourage people to go to school, stay in school and get as much education as they want," he said.

In addition, Moore stressed the need for increased fiscal responsibility among national policy-makers, particularly in terms of deficit spending. However, he said such a conservative stance on one issue does not necessitate a similar stance on other issues.

"Just because you believe in fiscal conservatism, that doesn't mean you must also restrict a woman's reproductive freedom," said Moore, a pro-choice advocate.

Moore, who has served as a member of the North Carolina Health Planning Committee, praised President Bill Clinton for placing a high priority on health-care reform, adding that he believes the issue will again be addressed in the near future.

"We have the best medical care system in the world, but some of the most inefficient delivery systems of that care," he said. "We actually have universal coverage already, but it's not fair coverage."

For every dollar an American spends on personal care, 35 cents goes to paying for the care of those who cannot afford it themselves, he said.

Moore said he disagrees with plans advocated by many other politicians that would require employers to provide health insurance for their employees.

"If society thinks it's a good idea, society ought to pay for it, not business," he said.

Moore will be running against Republican David Funderburk in the November elections.

Share and discuss “Candidate calls for student 'awareness'” on social media.