Duke must battle Razorbacks with hobbled Parks

CHARLOTTE -- Arkansas basketball is famous for its `40 minutes of hell' mantra, but head coach Nolan Richardson said the slogan is overused in describing the Razorbacks' style of play.

"`Forty minutes of hell' came from practice," Richardson said Sunday. "Our kids said that to us. Once you get by the first 40 minutes of practice you have it made."

The men's basketball team, which plays Arkansas for the national championship tonight at 9:22 p.m. in the Charlotte Coliseum, hopes it too can get through 40 minutes of Razorback basketball and have it made.

But when the teams take the court for the NCAA final this evening, the Blue Devils, already depth-shy, may not be at 100 percent. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said Sunday that center Cherokee Parks may have torn cartilage in his left knee during the Blue Devils' 70-65 semifinal win over Florida Saturday night.

Krzyzewski said that Parks was fine after the game when the team ate together, but that his knee was swollen and sore when he woke up Sunday morning. Despite the pain, Krzyzewski made it clear that Parks should play against Arkansas.

Parks did not work out with the team Sunday and has been receiving constant treatment on the knee in the interim.

Even with Parks at full strength, the Blue Devils (28-5) would face a daunting foe in the Razorbacks (30-3), who have been ranked No. 1 in the polls much of the season. Arkansas is notorious for its fast-paced game that tends to wear down its opponents if they don't have the bench strength to match -- hence the term `40 minutes of hell.'

Arkansas shuttles nine players in and out of games in order to maintain the intensity its style of game demands. But Richardson knows who his studs are and plays them the majority of the time. Just six players got more than 25 minutes against Arizona Saturday in the semifinals--Duke had six players with over 24 minutes.

"Arkansas reminds of us North Carolina," Duke senior Grant Hill said, referring to the deep Tar Heel team that beat Duke twice this season. "They sub a lot and don't lose a lot, maybe gain some."

Four years ago at the Final Four in Denver, the Blue Devils went up against a similar Arkansas team and beat the Razorbacks at their own fast-paced game in a national semifinal, 97-83.

But this year's Arkansas team is a notch above the 1990 squad and is even compared, talent-wise, to the Nevada-Las Vegas team Duke stunned in the 1991 Final Four.

"I felt better about playing against Vegas than I do about playing against Arkansas," Hill said. "We had a week to prepare for that game. [UNLV] wasn't as deep as Arkansas is."

"Arkansas will be the best team we've played all year," Krzyzewski said.

The Razorbacks' imposing lineup begins with 6-7 forward Corliss Williamson, who scored 29 points against Arizona in the Hogs' 91-82 semifinal win over the Wildcats Saturday.

"The Big Nasty is every coaches' dream," Richardson said, using the moniker given Williamson by his teammates.

"He's one of the top five players in the nation," Krzyzewski said. "He's a difficult player to double-team. He's a great passer. You just have to play him with your regular defense."

Guarding Williamson may be the toughest task for Duke. At 245 pounds, he's too big for 205-pound Antonio Lang to guard alone, and Parks will have to contend with 6-11 centers Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson.

But Arkansas doesn't end there. Perimeter players Scotty Thurman, Clint McDaniel and Corey Beck combine with Robinson and Williamson to form a devastating inside-outside game.

Add gunner Al Dillard, who drained two 25-foot treys against Arizona, and 6-9, 260-pound Dwight Stewart to the mix and Duke's got its hands full.

When Arkansas is hitting on all cylinders, like it did in stretches against helpless Arizona, it's hard to stop.

"It's poetry in motion," said Richardson. "It creates a feeling when I'm sitting there on the bench and thinking, `I would've bought a ticket to watch these guys play.'"

Arkansas is imposing, but the Razorbacks have been beaten. Three times in fact -- once each by Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky in Southeastern Conference play.

Florida, whom the Blue Devils edged Saturday, also got a chance at the Razorbacks in SEC competition when the Gators visited ...Fayetteville Feb. 12 and came away with a 99-87 loss.

"It is 40 minutes of hell, believe me, I know," said Florida's Dan Cross. "Duke will have their hands full."

Gator big man Dametri Hill gave the Blue Devils a fighting chance.

"If Duke can handle the [Arkansas] pressure, they'll be fine," Hill said. "It's going to test Duke because they don't use as many people."

Hill was right in pointing out that the Razorbacks like to put fullcourt pressure on teams and get into a run-and-gun game, but Arkansas is equally adept at using its incredible size. Williamson put some devastating post moves on Arizona and Robinson is capable of scoring up close.

"My grandmama told me there is more than one way to skin a cat, so I learned all of them," Richardson said.

Arkansas may have the edge with personnel, but the Blue Devils have found a magical team chemistry this season that refuses to lose.

"It'll be sad Monday night because this is one of those years I don't want to end," Krzyzewski said. "I don't look forward to that no matter what the result."

Arkansas has no such attitude. The Hogs have been a popular pick all year to win the title, and feel that the year would not be complete without winning the Razorbacks' first NCAA basketball title.

"From the beginning of the year this is all we've talked about," McDaniel said. "We don't want to accept anything less."

NOTES: This is Arkansas' first-ever trip to the national title game in five Final Fours...The Razorbacks' 42 three-pointers in the NCAA Tournament is sixth all-time...260-pound Dwight Stewart is 11-of-15 from three-point range in the NCAA Tournament...Arkansas is 25-0 when leading or tied at halftime this season.

Share and discuss “Duke must battle Razorbacks with hobbled Parks” on social media.