East resident appointed to greek life task forse

The Duke Student Government legislature appointed an additional member to the greek life task force Wednesday.

Trinity sophomore Noushin Jahanian will begin her duties immediately, said Trinity senior Paul Hudson, DSG president. She is an independent and lives in a non-selective dormitory on East Campus.

Jahanian's nomination comes in response to recent criticism that the task force's student contingent does not adequately represent the undergraduate student body.

Originally, four of the six students on the task force were greek. The task force did not include members of black greek organizations, independents living in non-selective housing, or residents of East.

Last week, Trinity senior Zaid Abdul-Aleem, a member of Omega Psi Phi, a black fraternity, was also added to the task force.

Jahanian said she is concerned about animosity among different student groups.

"There's an obvious us versus them mentality," she said. "Not just between greeks and independents, but also between East and West and between different races. Frankly, this shouldn't exist here."

Trinity senior Kevin Maillard, senior class president and another nominee for the spot on the task force, agreed.

"There is way too much finger-pointing," Maillard said.

Jahanian also addressed the role of alcohol in student life. She said she does not think the elimination of kegs would necessarily lead to a decrease in the use of alcohol or in alcohol-related problems.

"Alcohol is a societal problem, not just a Duke problem or a greek problem," she said.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: Hudson informed the legislature about tentative plans concerning who will live in the new dorms being constructed on East.

In May, the Board of Trustees authorized construction of 380 bed spaces on East in order to close Hanes Annex on North Campus and to alleviate overcrowding throughout campus residence halls.

Administrators in the Office of Student Development are now considering reducing the number of freshmen on West Campus by housing upperclassmen in Stratford and Lancaster, two of the three freshman dorms on West.

The new dorms on East would then be three-quarters freshman and one-quarter upperclassmen.

Hudson said he was concerned that a small pocket of freshmen would be living on West and a small pocket of upperclassmen would be located in a cluster of all-freshman dorms.

Because the administration must make a decision about who will live in the new dorms on East by the end of the month, Hudson suggested proposing legislation to address the issue.

Share and discuss “East resident appointed to greek life task forse” on social media.