Central residents demand safer campus

A handful of students turned out for a town meeting Thursday night in the Multipurpose Center regarding issues pertaining to Central Campus life.

About eight administrators, mostly from the student development office and auxiliary services, attended the meeting as well.

Students and administrators discussed a variety of issues from how to improve Central Campus to the benefits of living on Central.

Students' foremost concern was making Central a safer campus. Many said they fear walking alone on Central at night.

"Once I come home to my apartment, I feel like I have to stay in for the night," said Trinity sophomore Farley Urmston. "I almost feel trapped inside my apartment."

Better lighting and improved transportation services are key to increasing safety on Central, students said.

Students suggested that the busses come through Central once every 15 minutes rather than once every half hour to improve transportation.

Joseph Pietrantoni, associate vice president for auxiliary services, and Dave Majestic, director of transportation services, said they are developing a bus route that would have two busses continually running through West, East and Central, as well as Edens and Science Drive.

Students said they enjoy apartment life, and that the University should continue to offer this housing option to undergraduates.

"Central is such a great opportunity because it gives you the independence of apartment life while still offering some sense of community since everyone around you is also a Duke student," said Trinity sophomore Alison Shriberg.

Administrators agreed that Central is a living option with many advantages.

"If I went to Duke, I'd live on Central," said Janet Dickerson, vice president for student affairs.

Participants also discussed the cost of living on Central.

"Central is a real bargain, especially since most students who live there aren't on a higher-priced meal plan but buy their food off campus," said Trinity senior David Yu.

Some administrators said they were concerned that Central's low cost might divide the undergraduate community.

"If a significant amount of students on financial aid choose Central for its low cost, it seems to create a `low-rent district' within the University's residential structure," Dickerson said.

The meeting was sponsored by the Duke Student Government.

Share and discuss “Central residents demand safer campus” on social media.