Football faces crossroads in New Jersey

When the football team takes the field against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Saturday the Blue Devils will be fighting for more than a hard fought victory over a vastly improving Rutgers team, which received five votes in last week's Associated Press poll.

They will be playing to give life to a football season that, though only in the second week, is already in jeopardy.

Duke and the Scarlet Knights square off in Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., at 6 p.m. Saturday night.

A victory in the Meadowlands against the Scarlet Knights will be no easy feat. "They are a very good Rutgers team that decimated Colgate [in their opener last week]," Duke head coach Barry Wilson said.

Coming off a 68-6 thrashing of the Colgate Red Raiders, the Scarlet Knights are on a crusade to transform their program that boasts excellent athletes into a national power.

"They are a team of sound, outstanding personnel," Wilson said.

The entire Rutgers attack was impressive last week, as the scoring was distributed among seven players. Sophomore wide receiver Ed Walker caught four passes, three of which were for touchdowns. Two touchdowns were scored by both redshirt freshman Terrel Willis, who rushed for 86 yards, and senior wide receiver Chris Brantley.

The Scarlet Knights strength stands in their offensive depth and skill. At quarterback, senior Bryan Fortay -- a candidate for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award presented annually to the top senior quarterback, and nationally known for his lawsuit against Dennis Erickson and the Miami Hurricanes for failing to fulfill the recruiting promise of a starting quarterback position -- will find himself on the bench at the start of the game, as sophomore Ray Lucas will start the Duke game behind center for Rutgers.

"[Ray Lucas] can run, throw and he's quick," Wilson said. "They have two excellent tailbacks [ in Bruce Presley and Terrel Willis] and a good offensive line."

Rutgers put a total of 442 total offensive yards on the board last weekend, so the Blue Devils cannot afford to relax after playing Florida State last week.

"They are a tough team, it will be a great challenge," Wilson said.

Defensively, Rutgers was equally impressive, allowing only six points and 184 yards against Colgate. Duke's attack against the Scarlet Knights will vary little from last weekend's against the Seminoles. "We can't just scrap [our game plan because of the FSU game]," Wilson said earlier this week. "We've got a solid plan and we've got the right thing going. We just have to do it a whole lot better."

The Duke team, which amassed only 147 offensive yards and allowed 628, still remains an unknown to Wilson entering Saturday's contest. A combination of the caliber of opponent and the field conditions in the FSU game were what led to the poor Blue Devil performance in the 47-5 thrashing.

Wilson is hoping to learn more about his team against the Scarlet Knights. "I don't know what our team is," Wilson said.

A large part of the team identity crisis lies at the quarterback position, where the staring quarterback is yet to be designated for the Rutgers game.

Last week junior Joe Pickens started against FSU and was replaced in the second half by junior Spence Fischer. Wilson will not name the starter until game time, and stated that neither's play against the Seminoles won or lost the position for them, nor did he blame them for Duke's offensive woes. "It is not a case of Joe or Spence playing poorly," Wilson said. "Our whole passing game played poorly."

Last week's bright spot for Duke, special teams, will again be looking to sparkplug the offense. Wilson praised his special teams for outplaying the Seminoles and expects them to again produce for the Blue Devils.

"Our special teams was our only bright spot," Wilson said. "We got the best of Florida State in that area."

Saturday will mark the homecoming for fifth-year senior Leroy Gallman, who is from Westfield, N.J. Gallman, who last year finished second in the nation in average kickoff return yardage, registered more yards than the entire Duke offense, 161, on his six kickoff returns in the FSU game.

"[Gallman] has a good eye for when and where to cut," Wilson said. "Our kickoff unit as a whole is very good, [but] we have had too much practice at it."

Special teams may be the decisive factor in the game if the Blue Devils can keep the game close. Junior Sidney Wells, who blocked a punt last week against Florida State, and his teammates are certain to be pressuring Rutgers punter David Lipetz, who saw the snap from center on both of his punt attempts last week sail over his head.

INJURY REPORT: Senior Defensive tackle Scott Youmans worked out lightly this week on his injured knee, but he is not expected to play until next week's home game against Army at the earliest.

Share and discuss “Football faces crossroads in New Jersey” on social media.