DSG considers selling squeeze bottles to increase solidarity

The Duke Student Government will monitor legislators and consider selling squeeze bottles to increase solidarity and promote its image.

Trinity sophomore Peggy Cross, DSG vice-president pro-tempore, spoke to the legislature about its duties last night. Cross will monitor legislators throughout the year to ensure that they meet the responsibilities of their positions, such as posting DSG announcements in the dormitories they represent.

In the past, Central Campus, off-campus, and at-large representatives have not performed their duties well because the students they represent are not confined to one dormitory, Cross said. These representatives will be more closely monitored.

Also, new DSG bulletin boards at such locations as Uncle Harry's, North Building and Perkins Library will help make legislators' jobs easier, she said.

DSG's director of public relations, Trinity sophomore Brett Foster, discussed ways to promote DSG's image. One way would be to publish a handout titled "Discover DSG" to help students understand what DSG does and how it works.

Foster also suggested creating "DSG Wear," a line of clothes and accessories such as T-shirts, shot glasses and squeeze bottles. A DSG logo or motto would have to be created for "DSG Wear", he said.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: Plans for a new athletic and recreational facility may finally reach the Board of Trustees this semester, said Trinity senior Kevin Mullen, DSG vice-president for facilities and athletic affairs.

The DSG recreational facilities committee has been working on the plans with the President's Advisory Committee on Resources, and next week PACOR will decide whether to send the plans to the trustees.

"It looks like this is finally going to pass after all these years," Mullen said. "This project has been going on since the '60s."

Mullen also discussed plans for homecoming. DSG will hire and videotape a professional float maker, whose floats will be displayed outside Wallace Wade Stadium during the homecoming football game. Next year, student groups will watch the videotape to construct their own floats, Mullen said.

Share and discuss “DSG considers selling squeeze bottles to increase solidarity” on social media.