Students speak out about race relations at BSA, ASA rally

Students of all races gathered on the main quad of West Campus Friday to discuss race relations within the University community at a rally sponsored by the Black Student Alliance and the Asian Student Association.

The rally was held in conjunction with the Rodney King trial verdict, said Trinity sophomore Darren Jer, president of ASA. "Nothing was done here or in cities throughout the nation to address the racism that surfaced in the wake of the trial and the riots," he said.

"How many times do we have to have a speak-out?" said Trinity freshman Shavar Jeffries, one of the first to speak at the rally. Turning to students on the bench outside the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and to members of the Theta Chi fraternity, who were playing stickball behind him, Jeffries said, "Why can't you get off your benches and walk 10 feet to hear what we have to say? Why can't you put down your ball and bat and walk 30 feet to hear what we have to say?"

Members of both fraternities then came over to the crowd, which grew from an initial 40 or 50 participants to about 250 students.

"The benches that were vandalized last week could've had racial slurs on them," Jeffries said. "This world is not white; maybe this university is," he said.

"We have to look at all the hatred that is allowed to continue on this campus," said Trinity senior Jenny Carroll.

"Race relations exist on a very personal level, but are not very positive on a formal level," said Trinity senior Tim'm West, past president of BSA. "This needs to be a community that everyone takes part in," he said.

Members of Mi Gente were also present at the rally and addressed discrimination against Latinos. "Duke is very poor in its representation of Latinos," said Trinity sophomore Circe Bermudez. To her knowledge, there are currently less than 10 Mexican students at the University, she said.

Trinity sophomore Dawn Cook thanked the fraternity members for joining the rally and showing their concern. She then proposed a solution for understanding people of different races and backgrounds. "You wake up every morning with a burden on your heart. Respect the pain of someone else. It may not be the same pain as yours, but it's similar," she said.

"There's a reason why someone hates you, because there's something missing inside him," said Engineering senior Josiane Wolff, past president of Students of the Caribbean. "You can't expect peace when you don't emanate peace. You can't expect reconciliation when you're a wall."

Many students encouraged others to take risks in getting to know students of other races. Trinity junior Becca Lewis said she had to attend a BSA meeting as a sorority pledge task and now attends meetings regularly. "It's good for me to take this risk and feel a bit out of place; they feel it every day," she said.

"Try something different," said Trinity sophomore Noel Miquiabas. "If you don't start it now, you're not going to do it in the real world."

Cook then said, "I'm leaving my comfort zone!" and stood up and left a group of other black women to sit with members of Theta Chi. A member of Theta Chi then moved to sit with the same group of black women.

After the speak-out, students marched from the West Campus bus stop to the steps of Baldwin Auditorium on East Campus, where more students spoke.

"Take this out to the people who aren't here, because they're the ones who need it the most," said Trinity sophomore Sarah Dodds, co-chair of Spectrum.

Jer said the rally was "a great success. I think it really sent a message." The next step in improving race relations is to work more actively with other groups, including the greek system, to build coalitions, he said.

"I am really excited. This is the real Duke vision."

Share and discuss “Students speak out about race relations at BSA, ASA rally” on social media.