Students explore options

In response to not having their needs met by the drama program, some students are beginning to explore other outlets for their acting interests.

For the past two years, the Wendell Theater Group, created by Trinity juniors Rob Milazzo and Evan Mueller, has given students a chance to direct their own plays and be involved in their own productions from start to finish.

"We wanted to provide another outlet for Duke Drama on campus," Milazzo said.

According to students, Wendell and other non-drama affiliated groups have been positive alternatives to a program that has undergone a turbulent three-year period.

"I think a lot of people feel alienated from the program," said Trinity senior Jane Mendez, a drama major. "I think a lot of people are doing other options--Wendell, Hoof-N-Horn, and off-campus productions. I think it's wonderful."

Some students have decided to venture off campus to perform after having concerns about where first-year director Richard Riddell is taking the program. Several students participated in productions in the Coffee House by Rodrigo Dorfman, a 1989 graduate and the son of University research professor Ariel Dorfman. Trinity junior Heidi Blickenstaff has participated in an off-campus group this past semester called the Man Bites Dog Theater Group.

"I was unsatisfied with what's happening here," Blickenstaff said. "I found something that encouraged me as an artist."

Other students have decided to leave the drama program altogether. One student, Trinity junior Steven Monroe, transferred from the University after last semester. According to friends, Monroe left at least in part because he was unhappy with the direction in which the program was headed. Other students may be graduating early and several juniors have decided not to pursue drama majors although they seriously had considered doing so.

"I'm not aware of any students leaving the drama program because of anything going on in the drama program," Riddell said last week. "No one has come in [to my office]."

At least eight majors are participating next fall in Duke Drama's New York program and several others are going abroad to Europe. While the number of students leaving the University may be higher than average, their reasons for going are not solely based on changes in the drama program during the last year.

Some have said they are leaving because well-respected acting professor Jody McAuliffe is heading the program there. Others have said they have no compelling reason to return to the University.

"I planned on going to New York, but nothing is keeping me here," Blickenstaff said. "Had the program been flourishing, of course I wouldn't have left. But I'm ready to get out of here now."

Other students are just pursuing alternative acting venues. A large group of drama majors, mostly sophomores, proposed forming their own repertory company this year, which would entail a small-scale production of several plays.

But the group did not get support from Riddell or the faculty to do it this year because of concerns that it would detract too much from what the drama program wanted to do. Riddell said he is interested in the idea and it might be a possibility for the future.

"It's good for people to go out on their own," Mendez said. "But they shouldn't have to do that. Certain people don't want to participate in the mainstream of the drama program. A lot of people are on the fringe. That's a concern."

The students were preparing to go through with the production of their play in non-drama space on campus. But several members of the group came down with chicken pox and that made it difficult for them to continue.

"The fact that they felt they needed to do the company says something," said Trinity sophomore Kendra Myers, a drama major.

The students have communicated their concerns to Riddell through monthly majors meetings. Many want to ensure that the program remains geared towards the interests of the students and that the lines of communication remain open.

"I think the program can be fixed," Mendez said. "A dialogue needs to begin with the students, faculty and the director."

Share and discuss “Students explore options” on social media.