ASDU passed resolution supporting affordable housing loans

ASDU legislators passed a resolution supporting the renewal of a $1.2 million loan used to help create affordable housing in Durham.

The ASDU resolution originated from concerns raised by the Student Activist Cooperative, a group of graduates and undergraduates that encourages the University to be more responsible to the needs of Durham.

Trinity sophomore Mark Lorey, representing SAC, submitted the resolution to ASDU supporting the continuation of the loan.

"We want this to continue and we want the commitment renewed -- it's very important for Durham and the University," Lorey said. "The town is still facing an affordable housing crisis."

The Duke Affordable Housing Loan was created in 1988 after the University announced that it would evict 42 families from a low-rent apartment complex behind Hanes Annex for expansion of the Medical Center.

Responding to community outcry, the University put forward the loan for new affordable housing to compensate the affected families.

The University receives an interest rate of 8 percent from the loan.

The University has not had problems collecting payments so far. University officials will soon have to decide whether or not to renew the loan when it is paid off in 1995.

Lorey claimed that University officials have been hesitant to give definitive support to the continuation of the loan.

"This is a way to push [the administration] along, to make them quit talking and do something about it," said author, Trinity junior Becca Lewis, ASDU executive vice president/vice president for externals.

The resolution passed with one dissenting vote.

IN OTHER BUSINESS: Trinity senior Richard Moore, speaker of the legislature, expressed concern about an editorial published Monday in The Chronicle.

The editorial called for students to reject the proposed student activities fee increase.

"The Chronicle has shown its stupidity and naivety in the editorial," Moore said. "It's a shame and something we shouldn't have to put up with anymore. They don't know the amount of work we put in because they didn't ask."

A resolution concerning funding for the spring class officer elections was unanimously approved with $1363.10 to be used to pay for supplies, candidate statements to be run in The Chronicle and other provisions.

Share and discuss “ASDU passed resolution supporting affordable housing loans” on social media.