She's Having A Baby?

Whether through trips to the infirmary or fees on a student's bursar's bill, Student Health is a presence on campus for all undergraduates and graduate students. While the bulk of the department's clientele visits for minor ailments--allergies, the flu--some students come in for more life-altering discussions.

Last month, a student was featured in a Chronicle article for her decision to keep her baby after discovering she was pregnant during her junior year. Cases like these are rare at a university where students strive for top grades and swanky jobs. But students have raised questions over whether others' decisions to have abortions instead of keeping pregnancies have been influenced by the policies of Student Health. "There are groups on campus that would label us pro-choice," said Jean Hanson, assistant director of Duke Student Health Services. "That is true in that we give the student the choice."

Still, students like junior Steve Hong--president of Duke Students for Life--are worried that the choice is not entirely balanced. "I am concerned that not all options are displayed equally," Hong said. He cited the Healthy Devil website, where he said "there was a detailed section on abortion, but there was not much effort on providing resources for women to keep the baby."

Student Health does, however, offer several alternatives to students concerned about pregnancies. One of the most significant--yet least publicized--options is the department's $300 interest-free loans available to pregnant students. According to Student Health literature, the loan was created by Duke Student Government and is available only to undergraduates "for abortions and pregnancy care." Hanson emphasized that the loan can be used however the student chooses. The money must be returned with minimum monthly payments of $33.

"What the majority of students will do is take out the loan so the parents don't see the big hit on the checking account," Hanson said.

So far this year, one student has used the loan; in the past, four or five students have borrowed the money, Hanson said, acknowledging that few students know about the option.

Junior Cassie Hooks, the student featured in The Chronicle, agreed that many people probably do not know about the loan. "I guarantee that there have been more abortions and pregnancies this year than [the one who used the loan]," she said, adding that she had not heard of it.

"It's not publicized at all," added Hooks, who has not dealt with Student Health for any of her pregnancy care. "Why the random figure of $300? It seems that they give you the minimum amount you would need for an abortion--it doesn't even remotely come close to covering anything [else]." Hooks stressed that she does not condemn abortions, but added that she would like to see a larger loan available--an amount of money that could significantly ease the cost of prenatal services.

Student Health does distribute an information sheet with contacts for counseling, prenatal care and delivery, adoption, abortion services and the loan program. The sheet lists prices for vaginal and cesarean deliveries (about $8,000 to $12,000) and for abortions (about $300 up to $2,000 for late-term). "The information sheet lists the places we feel good about," Hanson said. "One of my biggest concerns is that someone will pick a pregnancy termination place out of the phone book and have a bad experience."

In addition to dealing with pregnancies, Student Health also offers preventative and emergency options. Between January and December 2000, there were 287 information requests at the Healthy Devil alone for condoms, contraception, emergency contraception and pregnancy.

Although Student Health does not use or distribute the controversial abortion pill RU-486, both birth control and emergency contraception, known as the morning-after pill, are available at cost through Student Health--a policy that Hanson said is consistent with her department's policy on vaccines, which are also offered to students at cost. Birth control was never offered free at Duke, but the history of emergency contraception has vacillated.

"The policy that has changed the most is the policy on emergency contraception," Hanson said. "At one point we were charging for it, then we weren't for a while. Then last year, fall 2000, we went back to charging for it. We charge for all birth control, and emergency contraception is birth control."

In the 1999-2000 academic year, Student Health distributed 114 emergency contraception packets, which cost about $8. "We charge students slightly more if anything at all," said Ray Rodriguez, administrative coordinator at the Healthy Devil. "We try to provide as low cost as possible--condoms are the one thing we give out for free. Students can get birth control options at the clinic for less than they'll pay at Eckerd."

Just as the student health fee allows birth control to be provided at cost, it allows students to have free pregnancy tests.

Despite Student Health's push to discuss all options, the department does not see all students who deal with pregnancies. "There are a lot of [pregnant] students that we don't see," Hanson said. "I've probably seen more on campus than in this building. I've seen enough to know that people do it successfully; it really is a viable option. The campus is accepting."

Student Health officials try to be accepting, as well. "We do no counseling, no recommending," Hanson said. "As a manager for nurses, my expectation is that the nurse will in no way be judgmental or influence the student at all. When we interview potential staff members, we are up front with them that they cannot reveal their personal views, but only give information."

Share and discuss “She's Having A Baby?” on social media.