Bring comedy, mystery, for just $7.50

The University Union Board recently agreed to ask the student body to increase the Union's portion of the Student Activities Fee from $37.50 to $45. The vote for this referendum will take place on March 4.

While this increase of $3.75 a semester may seem only trivial to some, it makes a world of difference to the Union. This year we have made a concerted effort to diversify our programming and create new, exciting programs for the University community to enjoy.

Events such as the Comedy Spot, Velcro Wall Jumping, the Indiana Jones trilogy on the quad, Purgatory, Campaign Murder, and The Meeting were dreamed up. Speakers such as Ted Kennedy, Hunter S. Thompson and Jesse Jackson have come or are coming to Duke. Exhibits like Pictures of Peace were made possible. 10,000 Maniacs, They Might Be Giants, and Toad the Wet Sprocket all played her in one semester. And Springfest and Oktoberfest have been renewed and revitalized, as will be seen on April 16.

One reason so many new projects were made possible is that we used excess funds which will no longer be in existence next year. Add the effect of inflation to our current operating budget and one will realize that the Union is asking for an increase just to maintain its current level of programming with a slight leeway for growth next year.

No, the Union did not ask for a fee increase last year. The last time we asked for an increase was in the spring of 1990, and the referendum was overwhelmingly supported by the student body. This is only the fourth increase we have asked the student for since our inception in 1978.

We agree that undergraduates should not be the only group to fund activities on campus. Therefore we are beginning to look at outside sources such as alumni and corporations to help share the costs of exciting and challenging programming at Duke. We also receive much money through sources such as ticket sales. The $45 we are asking you for will only account for 41% of the Union's 1993-94 operating budget.

Please vote for the Union referendum on March 4. If you are truly interested in better programming at Duke, this is how to show it. For the additional cost of chicken strips, cheese sticks, and Snapple, you can get a whole year's worth of quality programming.

Think about it. Vote for it.

Greg Holcombe

Kendrick Jahng

Trinity `93

Share and discuss “Bring comedy, mystery, for just $7.50” on social media.