2018 Virginia football season preview

2017 season: 6-7 (3-5 in the ACC, T-4th in the Coastal Division) 

Head coach: Bronco Mendenhall (3rd Season) 

The Cavaliers experienced an up-and-down 2017 season, similar to that of the Blue Devils. Unlike Duke, which recovered towards the end of the season, Virginia ended their season with a four-game losing streak that dropped them to an overall losing record. Despite their struggles with consistency, the Cavaliers finished the season boasting the seventh-best overall defense in the nation and the second-best in the ACC against the pass. 

Consistency, on both the offensive and defensive sides, will be the major challenge for Virginia this season after losing several key players. The Cavaliers graduated both All-American defensive back Quin Blanding and quarterback Kurt Benkert, all-time leaders for Virginia on their respective sides of the ball. 

Blanding finished his career as the Cavalier’s all-time record holder with 495 career tackles, the most of any defensive back in ACC history. Benkert leaves Virginia third in both career passing yards at 5,759 and passing touchdowns with 46. 

In addition to replacing Benkert and Blanding, the Cavaliers also have to fill the void left by two of their top three receivers, three starting offensive linemen and four of their top six defensive linemen. 

While Virginia certainly has to find some new talent, it will benefit from the return of leading rusher Jordan Ellis and top lineman Jordan Mack.

Share and discuss “2018 Virginia football season preview” on social media.