Perkins Lower Level 2 closed due to flooding

If you were planning on hitting the books in Lower Level 2 of Perkins Tuesday, you were out of luck—the floor is closed due to flooding.  

In a post on their Facebook page, the Libraries announced the floor’s closing beginning at 11:15 a.m. on Tuesday. The Libraries also wrote that books in the A-H call number range in Perkins are not available until further notice. The cause of the flooding is a broken water main at the Engineering building construction site next to Bostock Library, according to the post. 

“The water quickly made its way towards and into the air conditioning duct work of Perkins Library,” the post reads.

In a post on the Fix My Campus Facebook page Tuesday afternoon, senior Mera Liccione, a student staff member at the library, wrote that the elevators were down in Perkins and that students should use the ones in Bostock Library instead.

As of 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, signs announcing the floor's closure and tape saying “do not enter” or “caution” marked the stairwells leading to LL2. Seminar 2 in The Link was also taped off, with the furniture pushed to the wall and part of the carpet appearing wet. Additionally, some of the Perkins elevators were marked with out-of-order signs. 

Neither the post on the Libraries’ Facebook page or the announcement on their website gave a date or time for the floor or elevators to be reopened.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Perkins Lower Level 2 closed due to flooding” on social media.