N.C. death toll from flu spikes, Duke Health restricts patient visitation

<p>There were eight influenza-associated deaths in North Carolina&nbsp;between Feb. 5 and 11.</p>

There were eight influenza-associated deaths in North Carolina between Feb. 5 and 11.

In response to an increasingly severe influenza season this year in the Triangle area, Duke University Health System has implemented visitation restrictions in its hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers.

Typically, North Carolina sees a peak in flu cases from late December to early January. However, this year, February is showing a late surge in the number of flu cases, related hospitalizations and flu-associated deaths.

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, between Feb. 5 and 11, there were eight influenza-associated deaths in the state, double that of any previous week. And although individuals above age 65 are at the highest risk of mortality, deaths have been documented across all adult age groups in North Carolina this season.

To reduce patient exposure to the potentially fatal virus, Duke has limited the number of patient visitors to two adults at one time. Children under 18 may be allowed visitation only with approval from a care provider or under special circumstances.

Fliers enforcing the policy, which officially began Feb. 10, are displayed in all participating Duke facilities including the Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional and Duke Raleigh Hospitals, Duke Ambulatory Surgery Center and the James E. Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center.

Any potential visitors displaying flu-like symptoms including headaches, fevers, muscle aches, congested sinuses, cough or sore throat are also urged to remain home.

Dr. Tabinda Nazir, hospital medicine specialist at Duke Raleigh Hospital, says that Influenza A is the strain causing trouble throughout the Triangle. This strain is typically less predictable than the B or C types and has therefore led to more outbreaks historically.

Each fall, Duke patients are urged and employees are required to receive the influenza vaccination, which this season protected against two type A and one type B strains. Unfortunately, there seems to be a particular influenza A mutant that is infecting even the vaccinated population throughout the Triangle, Nazir said.

Whether they have been vaccinated or not, all visitors are encouraged to perform frequent hand washing and practice proper cough etiquette in Duke facilities.

Right now, the visitor restriction policies are being communicated via fliers and, if needed, floor staff are instructed to intervene with visitors who do not adhere to posted initiatives.

Nazir said she believes that Duke’s restrictions are appropriate and in line with regulations at health care facilities around the country. Duke has also implemented similar regulations in previous years in response to flu outbreaks.

Although the end of February typically marks the conclusion of peak flu season, this year appears to be atypical. Nazir noted that she predicts the visitation restrictions will continue until the Centers for Disease Control and the National Institutes of Health establish that influenza A has been adequately controlled in the Triangle.

“It is really for visitor’s best interests, and of course, we always want to protect our patients,” Nazir said.

Duke has yet to release any information regarding a conclusion date for the visitation restrictions.

Correction: The writer of this article was Jackie Dillon, not Jackie Park. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “N.C. death toll from flu spikes, Duke Health restricts patient visitation ” on social media.