Boston College men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

<p>Sophomore Jerome Robinson will need to develop a consistent perimeter jump shot to become the Eagles’ go-to scorer this season.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Jerome Robinson will need to develop a consistent perimeter jump shot to become the Eagles’ go-to scorer this season. 

Boston College

Overall record: 7-25, 0-18 in the ACC

Head coach: Jim Christian

Tenure at Boston College: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 262-197

Home court: Silvio O. Conte Forum

Starters: G Ty Graves, G Jerome Robinson, G Ky Bowman, F A.J. Turner, F Garland Owens

Bench: F Connar Tava, F Nic Popovic

Overview: The 2015-2016 season is one that most Boston College fans would probably rather forget. After struggling through non-conference play, the Eagles entered the ACC season just barely above .500 after a win against New Hampshire. That would prove to be their last win of the season.

Virtually everything that could go wrong did go wrong in a historically bad season for Boston College. ACC play began with a 81-64 thumping at the hands of Duke and did not let up from there, as the Eagles did not win a single game in conference play. Their closest opportunity to pick up a conference win came in an upset bid against then-No. 9 UNC in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

This year, the Eagles will be without three of their most productive players from last season’s squad, as guard Eli Carter—who led the team in scoring as a senior—graduated, and Matt Milton and Sammy Barnes-Thompkins both transferred at the end of the season.The preseason pick to finish last in the ACC will certainly struggle in their absences, but Boston College returns sophomore wing Jerome Robinson, who showed potential last season. 

Robinson will evolve into a legitimate threat if he can develop his shot from behind the arc, as well as big man A.J. Turner, who could also build off a solid freshman campaign. The addition of freshman point guard Ty Graves should help the Eagles’ offense, which finished last in the ACC in points per game last season.

Ultimately, expectations will be low for Boston College, but the team has the pieces to make a significant improvement on last season. The Eagles’ nonconference schedule should give the team some momentum heading ACC play, though they face a rough slate of games early in conference play, including a road trip to Duke Jan. 7.

One thing that needs to go right: Robinson builds on an impressive freshman campaign, Graves steps into the point guard role seamlessly and the Eagles are able to pick up some conference wins, playing spoiler late in the season.

One thing that could go wrong: Robinson regresses, Graves can’t fill the hole left by Eli Carter, and the offense sputters. The defense continues to be overmatched and the Eagles suffer another miserable season, barely winning ten games on the year.

Share and discuss “Boston College men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.