Best of Durham

There is a whole world that exists beyond Duke’s campus. The perfect mixture of modern and quaint, Durham boasts the accomplishments of a big city, but flourishes with a small-town soul.

Explore Durham

Grab Some Grub in the South’s Food Hub

Amidst its restaurants, food trucks, and intimate coffee shops, it’s no wonder that Southern Living Magazine called Durham the South’s tastiest town. Some of our favorite spots:

• The Parlour- offers handmade ice cream in a variety of sweet and savory flavors such as salted butter caramel, sweet potato, and cilantro and lime.
  • Foster’s Market- a gourmet food market and café focusing on scratch-made soups, salads, casseroles, and sandwiches—and for breakfast, Lucas’ Cinnamon Vanilla French toast is a must.
  • Monuts- famous for its eclectic bagel and biscuit breakfast sandwiches and gourmet cake or yeast donuts.
  • Pizzeria Toro- offers wood-fired pizza with toppings such a spicy lamb meatball, clams and prosciutto.
  • Bull City Gourmet & Market- this locally owned gourmet market and eatery offers the best avocado toast in town.
  • Dame’s Chicken & Waffles- a true taste of the South, with waffle flavors such as sweet potato, gingerbread and blueberry along with chocolate-hazelnut and peach-apricot shmears.
  • Burger Bach- grab a juicy burger and some fresh-cut fries with house-made aiolis and sauces.
  • Sushi Love- this student favorite serves everything from exotic rolls to sushi sandwiches, to steak and seafood.
  • More fine dining options include Vin Rouge French cuisine, Juju Asian Tapas and Bar, Nana’s New American fare, Parizade Mediterranean fare, Blu Seafood, and Mateo Bar de Tapas.

Get Outside

• Jog the three-mile Al Buehler Cross Country Trail, which circles the perimeter of the Washington Duke Inn and Golf Course.
  • Walk or run the 1.64 mile East Campus loop.
  • Hit the American Tobacco Trail, 22 miles of low-impact compacted soil.
  • Try hiking along the scenic Eno River State Park. Over 3,900 acres of rugged river landscape is perfect for a hike, fishing, canoeing or picnicking.
  • Lounge in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. Grab a picnic lunch and a book for some pleasure reading, or sunbathe on the spacious South Lawn. Become acquaintances with the garden’s resident ducks and geese at the pond in the Culberson Asiatic Arboretum.

Retail Therapy

• Shopping local in Durham is key, and Ninth Street—located directly off of East Campus—offers a ton of stores that show of the Durham community’s artistic flare.
  • Find quirky gifts at the clothing store Vaguely Reminiscent or fine art at Zola Craft Gallery.
  • Brightleaf Square also offers shopping options such as Schoolkids RecordsIndio and Vert & Vogue.
  • For all your national brands, you can fulfill all your shopping needs at Northgate Mall, just a few minutes off of East Campus, or The Streets at Southpoint, located only a 15-minute drive from Duke’s campus.

Share and discuss “Best of Durham” on social media.