Dame's Express among new dining options for 2015-16

DUSDAC elected to choose Dame's Express to replace Devil's Bistro after requesting that the popular Durham restaurant add variety to its menu for the on-campus location. | Chronicle File Photo

Central campus residents panicked when Devil's Bistro closed, but many will be happy with its replacement—Dame's Chicken and Waffles.

To satisfy a broader consumer base, the popular Durham establishment—which will be known as Dame's Express at its on-campus location—will feature an expanded menu including Mexican food, pizza and breakfast in addition to the traditional chicken and waffles.

“It's really a treat that one of Durham’s best has literally planted a satellite restaurant in students’ backyards,” sophomore Claire Tucker said. “I'm excited to see what it will bring to campus.”

Following the closure of Devil's Bistro, Dining Services sent a proposal to venues in the area in order to gauge interest and begin negotiation, explained Brian Taylor, co-chair of Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee. Among those that responded was Dame’s, one of the most popular off-campus eateries for Duke students.

“We were kind of intrigued by the option of adding a vendor that students know in Durham,” Taylor said.

Taylor noted that he anticipates the selection to be met with a mix of excitement and skepticism because Dame's is beloved by many students but also known for its niche specialty of fried chicken and waffles. The selection's success will likely be determined by how much students enjoy the additions to the menu—which were requested by Dining Services—though a specific list of offerings has yet to be released.

“As the primary eatery for all of Central Campus, we wanted something with wide appeal,” Taylor said.

Although Dame's will likely be the most talked about change to the University's dining scene, there will be several other new options for students in the coming year.

Belgian Waffology and Bull City Street Food have joined the food truck lineup and will replace Mac-Ur-Roni and Captain Ponchos. New additions to the Merchants-on-points program include the Ninth Street Tex-Mex chain Tijuana Flats and Dunkin’ Donuts, which will replace Skewers and Chai's Noodle Bar and Bistro.

Share and discuss “Dame's Express among new dining options for 2015-16” on social media.