2015 NCAA tournament preview: Xavier Musketeers

Xavier Musketeers

Record: 21-13, 9-9 Big East

Head Coach: Chris Mack (6th season)

Season Summary: Xavier earned its 25th NCAA tournament appearance as an at-large team from the newly constructed Big East. Xavier was middle-of-the-road in a tough conference, posting good wins against Butler (twice), Georgetown (three times) and Providence. However, the Musketeers also lost to Providence and Butler once this season and suffered ugly losses to Long Beach State and UTEP. Xavier was solid on the offensive end of floor, averaging 73.6 points per game, and, according to basketball statistician Ken Pomeroy's metrics, it ranked 27th in the nation in offensive efficiency.

Senior center Matt Stainbrook leads the way in scoring and efficiency for the Musketeers, averaging 12 points per game and shooting an impressive 60.5 percent from the field. More impressive, Xavier was ninth in the nation with 16.4 assists per game due to stellar play from senior guard Dee Davis, who averaged 6.1 dimes per game.

How they make a run: Matt Stainbrook and Dee Davis use their previous experience in the tournament and shoot efficiently, maximizing their unselfish style of play.

How they falter: The Musketeers run into a team that can shut them down defensively and jump into passing lanes, forcing turnovers which lead to easy buckets.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Xavier Musketeers” on social media.