2015 NCAA tournament preview: Robert Morris Colonials

Robert Morris Colonials

Record: 19-14, 12-6 in the NEC

Head Coach: Andrew Toole (5th season)

Season summary: After three consecutive years failing to take home the NEC crown, Robert Morris finally won the conference title March 10 as the Colonials defeated St. Francis Brooklyln 66-63. With this thrilling victory, Andrew Toole’s squad earned its first NCAA bid since 2010.

Despite a slow start this season—going 5-8 in the 2014 section of its campaign—the Colonials put together six straight wins in the last month to secure a berth in the first round of March Madness. Robert Morris, averaging 69.0 points and allowing 67.7 per contest, has only battled one ranked team this season, as then-No. 6 North Carolina steamrolled the Colonials 103-59 at Dean E. Smith Center back on Nov. 16.

If they beat North Florida Wednesday, the Colonials will battle top-seeded Duke Friday at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, N.C. Although Robert Morris is up to give the Blue Devils a fight if it wins in the First Four, an upset seems unlikely Friday.

How they make a run: Three Colonials—freshman Marcquise Reed, junior Rodney Pryor and senior Lucky Jones—lead the team’s offense, as all three average double digits. Also, Robert Morris is 13th in the nation in steals with 8.5 per contest, which makes them a dangerous team in transition.

How they falter: Robert Morris has been plagued by turnovers throughout the season as it averages 13.8 per contest. Rebounding is not the Colonials’ forte either, as their rivals have outrebounded them by 2.3 this year.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Robert Morris Colonials” on social media.