Duke women's basketball to open homestand against No. 1 South Carolina

Redshirt freshman Rebecca Greenwell will look to bounce back from a 2-of-10 shooting performance at Nebraska as the Blue Devils host No. 1 South Carolina Sunday.

Coming off two consecutive tight losses to top-15 opponents, the Blue Devils have yet to prove that they can beat some of the top teams in the nation.

No. 9 Duke will get another opportunity to do just that as it tries to avoid its first three-game losing streak since the 2007-08 season. The Blue Devils return to Cameron Indoor Stadium Sunday at 1 p.m. to take on top-ranked South Carolina. The game will be the Blue Devils’ third in the past seven days and starts a four-game homestand for the young squad.

“We’ve grown tremendously as a team against this great competition,” Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "Although outcomes do matter, and I know they certainly do, we’re just trying to get better as a team.”

Duke will hope to get the services of All-American Elizabeth Williams—who has missed the team’s last two losses with an ankle sprain—back in time for the crucial matchup against the Gamecocks.

“Game-time decision, but she looks pretty good, ” McCallie said. “She practiced [Friday] so hopefully tomorrow when she wakes up she feels pretty good.”

Duke will again rely heavily on its freshmen if the 6-foot-3 center is unable to go.

After starting for the first time Wednesday against Nebraska, freshman forward Azura Stevens will look to continue a string of strong performances. The Raleigh native is shooting 63 percent from the floor this season, and provides an advantage for the Blue Devils because of her versatility. At 6-foot-5 and capable as a ball-handler, Stevens has seen time at all five positions and will be a matchup problem for opposing teams throughout the season.

“Azurá has played the one, two, three, four, and five and we’re only seven games in,” McCallie said. “She’s the most versatile player that’s ever been at Duke. ”

Duke will also need a big game from redshirt freshman Rebecca Greenwell. After scoring double-digits in the first six games of her young career, Greenwell struggled in Wednesday’s loss against the Cornhuskers, finishing with only nine points on 2-of-10 shooting as Nebraska was able to devote more attention to Duke's leading scorer with no Williams to command double-teams in the post.

The Gamecocks—led by head coach Dawn Staley—return the majority of a team that earned a No. 1 seed in the tournament just a season ago. But after a disappointing Sweet 16 exit, the Gamecocks are hoping a stellar recruiting class—ranked second by ESPN—will bring just the additions they need to bring a championship to Columbia, S.C.

“What they’ve done there is fantastic for women’s basketball,” McCallie said. “They have a huge attendance, huge following, well-coached and so it’s a great opportunity for us to play them.”

Duke’s backcourt—which has had its ups and downs this season—will face arguably its stiffest test all season against two of the top guards in the nation—junior Tiffany Mitchell and highly-touted freshman A’ja Wilson. The guards are South Carolina’s leading scorers, averaging 14.9 and 13.7 points per game, respectively.

But on the other end of the floor, the Gamecocks will be forced to deal with size they have yet to face this season. The Blue Devils—the tallest team in the country— have been one of the top rebounding teams in the nation, averaging 20.0 offensive rebounds per game and leading the nation with a 22.4 rebounding margin.

“They’ve got lots of balance, big kids inside, great guards outside,” McCallie said. “We just got to play an overall team defensive effort, where everybody is focused on the same thing. It’s going to take great team defense, excellent rebounding, and attack mode on offense.”

Although a victory against the top team in the nation will certainly be hard to come by, Sunday’s matchup will serve as a litmus test for just how close this Duke team is to national title contention.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball to open homestand against No. 1 South Carolina” on social media.