Updated: Individual assaulted at Devine's Friday morning

A homeless man allegedly assaulted an employee at Devine's Grill and Sports Bar early Friday morning.

The man had been kicked out of Devine's for trespassing several times in the past, said the restaurant's owner Gene Devine, Trinity '75. When he refused to leave Friday night, an altercation ensued and the man assaulted an employee.

Though the employee initially required medical attention, he is now "fine," Devine said.

The man who assaulted the employee has not yet been located or arrested. Devine said he was in communication with police throughout the day Friday to help in attempts to identify and locate the suspect.

Police were called to the scene to investigate an assault with a weapon at about 1:00 a.m. Friday, said Lieutenant Denise Campbell, watch commander for the Durham Police Department.

"Officers will investigate whatever leads they find," Campbell said.

Devine's is located on West Main Street, a few blocks from East Campus, and is managed by Duke alumnus Gene Devine, Trinity '75. The bar is particularly popular with undergraduates on Thursday nights.

"We've been here 37 years, things like this don't happen," Devine said. "This was an aberration."

This story was updated at 5:00 p.m. Friday to reflect new information from Gene Devine.

Share and discuss “Updated: Individual assaulted at Devine's Friday morning” on social media.