Mariah returns to R&B roots

What’s that, you say? Mariah Carey’s back? Stop, I need space to breathe…

All right. I guess it’s time to dust off that old box in the attic I like to call my ’90s Memories, buried beneath my hacky-sack collection, JNCOs and busted Doc Martens.

Ten Good Things to Say about Mariah Carey and her latest LP, The Emancipation of Mimi:

1. There are no plans to produce a corresponding motion picture debuting alongside the album. It won’t be called Glitter, and Mariah won't have to spend an entire year trying to scratch that clueless grin off her album cover.

2. Wow, she looks a whole lot like Beyoncé.

3. Wow, she sounds a whole lot like Beyoncé.

4. Oh wait, there’s that outdated squeal that doesn’t quite match up to the vocals of current R & B hotties Ciara, Amerie, and Ms. Bootylicious herself. Crap. That’s not a good thing.

5. She writes a good portion of the songs, which is a first. The album features production from The Neptunes, Jermaine Dupri and Kanye West. Maybe the girl’s still got a bit left.

6. Her old R&B sound—something lacking in her past two releases—makes a comeback on Emancipation.

7. The new album’s definitely not as bad as her past two albums were.

8. Songs like “Stay the Night” and “To the Floor,” featuring Nelly should make a big splash on the pop charts.

9. True to their reputation, the producers create an innovative and contemporary background of beats and grooves. But does Mariah meet their standards? Well…

10. She's still a “Heartbreaker” in our book.

Share and discuss “Mariah returns to R&B roots” on social media.