Julian LaFaurie-Hammes

Articles

Former Green Party vice presidential candidate and activist Rosa Clemente kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month on campus Thursday night.
NEWS  |  UNIVERSITY

Activist Rosa Clemente examines racial identity in Hispanic Heritage Month keynote address

Former Green Party vice presidential candidate and activist Rosa Clemente emphasized the importance of solidarity in minority communities in an on-campus speech Thursday night.  Clemente's keynote address—which marked the start of Hispanic Heritage Month and was organized by Mi Gente, Duke’s Latino/a Student Association—was delivered to a crowd of approximately 150 students, faculty and community members at Griffith Film Theater and examined several different aspects of modern race relations.  “I say to Latino and Latina people that the #BlackLivesMatter is your call.

Seth Pearson, president of the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association, was one of the many speakers at the first annual Black Convocation Wednesday.
NEWS  |  UNIVERSITY

First Black Convocation held Wednesday

More than 200 Pan-African and African-American undergraduate and graduate students gathered in the Trent Semans Center Wednesday night for Duke’s first ever Black Convocation. At the ceremony, which was organized and hosted by the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, a procession of student representatives and campus leaders welcomed the Class of 2019, speaking about issues black students face today and the importance of inclusion and celebration of their community.

More Articles