Fuqua launches contest for potential campus entrepreneurs

From staff reports

An anonymous donor's gift to the Fuqua School of Business has created the Duke Start-Up Challenge, an entrepreneurial contest that will award $50,000 to those with the best ideas for new companies.

Teams must include at least one University student, but all are invited to participate. Anyone can learn about the contest and about business plans at workshops in December and January. Executive summaries will be due in late January, and after several layers of judging by outside business executives, winners will be announced by the end of April. For more information, contact Fuqua MBA student Gary Larson at 286-2783 or agl4@duke.edu.

Pratt school will honor donor: The Pratt School of Engineering will honor Edmund T. Pratt Jr., for his $35 million naming gift during festivities this coming weekend. During the weekend, the Board of Trustees is expected to officially approve the name change.

On Friday, Dec. 3, a seminar entitled "The New Engineer: Education Challenges in the Post-Industrial Manufacturing Era" will be held in Love Auditorium from 2:15 to 3:45 p.m. It will feature several national scholars, including Joseph Bordogna, deputy director of the National Science Foundation, and Larry Burns, vice president for research at General Motors.

President Nan Keohane will honor Pratt at 5 p.m., and a reception will follow at 5:30 p.m. in Levine Science Research Center's Pratt Commons, which was named for the former Pfizer chair and CEO. On Saturday at 12:30 p.m., the school will host a barbecue on the LSRC lawn in honor of Pratt, engineering '47.

Groups plan forum: The Black Student Alliance, the Freeman Center for Jewish Life and the Duke chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People are co-sponsoring a dialogue about black-Jewish relations Dec. 5. The evening will begin at 6 p.m. with dinner at the CJL and a traditional Jewish Hanukkah candle lighting. Those interested in dinner must RSVP by Wednesday at 5 p.m. by sending an e-mail to jewishlife@duke.edu.

Discussion, play address Helen: The classical studies department and Duke Players are presenting a symposium on Euripides' Helen Dec. 3 at 4 p.m. in Perkins Library. The discussion is in conjunction with the campus performance of the ancient Greek play, which is playing in Sheafer Theater this week.

Graduate student Michael Lippman will speak on "Helen of Duke: Thoughts on the Genesis of a Production." The University of California at Santa Cruz's Mary-Kay Gamel, an associate professor of classics and comparative literature, will present "Museum or Laboratory: Ancient Scripts on Stage." Call 684-5076 for more information.

Share and discuss “Fuqua launches contest for potential campus entrepreneurs” on social media.