2023 4-star forward Jordan Wood commits to Duke women's basketball

Head coach Kara Lawson is welcoming another top-100 recruit to the Blue Devils' incoming class.

An excellent 2023 recruiting class for Duke just got even better. 

Jordan Wood, a four-star prospect from Chicago, announced her commitment to Duke Wednesday morning.

"I'm excited and blessed to be a Blue Devil," said Wood in a team release. "Duke provides incredible opportunities for both students and athletes to thrive. Coach Lawson has a strong determination to help her players succeed at the highest level and I wouldn't want to be a part of anything else!"

Wood initially committed to Michigan State in 2021, but she reopened her recruitment April 5. The 6-foot-4 forward averaged 14.5 points, 7.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists in her senior year at Carmel Catholic High School. She also received the Chicago News Sun Player of the Year and was named to the Illinois AP All-State 3A First Team this past season. Wood is the 62nd-ranked prospect in the 2023 recruiting rankings, given a rating of 93.

"I'm excited to add Jordan to our already decorated 2023 class … she's a versatile player on both ends of the floor,' said head coach Kara Lawson. "Her length, in particular defensively, should be an asset to how we want to play, like our style of play defensively. We want to cause disruption in the full court and in the half court and her length and athleticism, I think as she grows through the course of her career, can really be a positive for us on the offensive end."

In addition to Wood, Duke’s 2023 class includes top-30 recruits Jadyn Donovan (No. 3), Delaney Thomas (No. 27) and Oluchi Okananwa (No. 29). 

Wood is a much-needed addition to the Blue Devil frontcourt that includes fellow 2023 recruit Thomas, along with centers Kennedy Brown and Camilla Emsbo.

"She's somebody that just fit us culture wise immediately," said Lawson. "When we talked, and when she was around our team, she's going to be somebody that I think is going to grow a lot each year and somebody that will impact our team throughout her entire career."

Ranjan Jindal profile
Ranjan Jindal | Assistant Blue Zone editor

Ranjan Jindal is a Trinity sophomore and an assistant Blue Zone editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Share and discuss “2023 4-star forward Jordan Wood commits to Duke women's basketball” on social media.