Students elect 2023-24 class council, DSG senators and vice presidents

<p>DSG at their Jan. 18, 2023 Senate meeting.</p>

DSG at their Jan. 18, 2023 Senate meeting.

Students elected new Duke Student Government senators and vice presidents in an online election Wednesday and Thursday. 

In total, 729 ballots were cast. Below are the election results. DSG Attorney General Nellie Sun, a senior, provided The Chronicle with the results Thursday evening. 

A referendum on the ballot, which would have reformed the DSG constitution to change the scope of DSG Senate’s role in recognizing student groups, failed to pass because less than 15% of the undergraduate student body voted in the election. 

The referendum included proposed amendments to raise student groups' minimum funding request requiring Senate approval from $1,500 to $4,000 and shift the responsibility of recognizing new student groups from SOFC to the Student Involvement and Leadership team in the Office of Student Affairs. 

Senators approved the constitutional reforms unanimously on March 29. According to the DSG Constitution, a majority of students voting must ratify the changes for them to take effect and at least 15% of the undergraduate student body must vote.

Committee vice presidents and senators

Academic Affairs

Vice president: Sophomore Heather Raslan
Senator: First-year Andrew Li

Campus Life

Vice president: Senior Sophie Smith
Senator: First-years Arnav Jindal and Alexa Fahrer 

Services and Sustainability

Vice president: First-year Matthew Xu
Senator: First-year Karina Lu, sophomores N Wang and Kristina Wong, junior Rashad Rahman

Equity and Outreach 

Vice president: Sophomore Yadira Paz-Martinez

Durham and Community Affairs

Vice president: Sophomore Katelyn Cai
Senator: First-years Thatcher Navorska and Lauren Campano

Class councils

Class of 2024: Sonali Sanjay was elected Class Council president. Robert Sprung was elected Class Council vice president. 

Class of 2025: Nicholas Sangvai was elected Class Council president. 

Class of 2026: There was a tie between Justina Rodriguez-Diez and Aubteen Pour-Biazar for Class Council president. Per Duke Student Government’s election by-laws, a run-off election will be held. 

Lauren Campano was elected Class Council vice president.

Milla Surjadi profile
Milla Surjadi | Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator

Milla Surjadi is a Trinity junior and a diversity, equity and inclusion coordinator of The Chronicle's 119th volume. She was previously editor-in-chief for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Students elect 2023-24 class council, DSG senators and vice presidents” on social media.