Duke in the MLB: Stroman surrenders first earned run, Mervis and Herron impress in minors

Former Duke outfielder Jimmy Herron has had a great start to the season in the Colorado Rockies' organization.

As Duke baseball continues its season, former Blue Devils are just getting underway in the pros. The Blue Zone takes a look at some standout alumni from the first month of the season:

Marcus Stroman, P, Chicago Cubs

After a blistering start to the year, Marcus Stroman has finally been tagged for his first earned run. In Wednesday’s game against the Seattle Mariners, Stroman suffered his first loss of the season on the mound, as the Cubs fell 5-2. Despite the loss, the former Duke ace still turned in a solid performance, allowing only two runs on five hits through six innings of work. The right-hander also struck out six batters while giving up two walks, bringing his strikeout total to 20 through three starts. Stroman’s earned run average is now sitting at 1.00 on the season, a mark that Chicago will certainly accept from its ace. Stroman is slated to start again Tuesday in an interleague matchup against the Oakland Athletics.

Matt Mervis, 1B, Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs' Triple-A affiliate)

Matt Mervis had another solid week for the Iowa Cubs in their series against the Omaha Storm Chasers. In the three-game series, Mervis was 4-for-10 at the plate with a double and home run. The first baseman also drew four walks during the series and crossed the plate four times for Iowa. The slugger is now batting .263 on the year while sporting a .423 on-base percentage. With first baseman Eric Hosmer failing to hit a home run up to this point in this season for the Cubs’ major league team, Chicago may soon opt to call up Mervis for a power boost. 

Jimmy Herron, OF, Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies' Triple-A affiliate)

Jimmy Herron is another former Duke standout who has had a good start to the 2023 season while in Triple-A. In nine games with the Albuquerque Isotopes, Herron is batting .278 with a .350 on-base percentage. The former third-round pick already has two triples on the year, showing off the speed that makes him so valuable in the outfield. If Herron continues to hit the ball well, a call up to play with the struggling Rockies could be in order.  

Share and discuss “Duke in the MLB: Stroman surrenders first earned run, Mervis and Herron impress in minors” on social media.