Here's five fall 2023 classes to fire up your bookbag

The Reuben-Cooke Building.
The Reuben-Cooke Building.

Feel like experimenting with your classes this fall? As shopping carts for fall 2023 classes opened on Monday, The Chronicle compiled a list of interesting courses across a range of disciplines that you can take in the upcoming semester. Registration begins on April 5 and ends April 13. 

Writing the Movie: Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Writing for the Screen

Taught by Cole L. Russing

Th 10:05 a.m.-12:35 p.m.

Course Credits: ENGLISH 225S, CINE 306S, VMS 360S (ALP, W)

Are you a lover of Letterboxd? Do you have a script idea you believe belongs on Netflix? This course will teach students how to turn story ideas into a screenplay. Students will have the opportunity to analyze screenplays and movies, develop a deeper understanding of visual storytelling and create their own scenes. 

Race, Genomics, and Society

Charmaine D. Royal

MW 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.

Course Credits: AAS 261D, BIOLOGY 261D, CULANTH 261D, GLHLTH 258D, SCISOC 258D, VMS 274D (EI, STS, NS, SS)

Interested in engaging with challenges related to race and genetics? This course explores “human origins, human variation, human identity, and human health” to reflect on the concept of race within the field of genetics on a global scale. Scientific, ethical, legal, societal, cultural and psychosocial issues surrounding the concept of race will be discussed. Students from any discipline in the arts, humanities and sciences are welcome. 

Black Feminism and Fashion

Taught by Kimberly K. Lamm

MW 10:05-11:20 a.m.

Course Credits: AAAS 355S, ARTSVIS 353S, ENGLISH 353S, GSF 355S, LIT 355S (CCI, W, ALP)

This course focuses on Black feminist perspectives on clothing and fashion, and “reveals fashion and clothing as aesthetic practices of everyday life that defy the objectifying effects of racism and sexism.” 

Students will analyze the photos, paintings and literature of Black artists and writers in which clothing is a primary theme. They will further explore “slavery’s and colonialism’s impact on gender and sexuality.”

Feast and Famine: Food in Global History

Taught by Margaret Humphreys

TuTh 8:30-9:45 a.m.

Course Credits: HISTORY 371, SCISOC 371 - 01 (CCI, STS, CZ, SS)

Feeling hungry?

This course takes a dive into the history of food, from the Paleolithic era today. It explores “food exchanges across continents and cultures, discovery of vitamins and vitamin deficiencies, growth and impact of food industries, and the rise of diseases.” It also considers the intersection of food and health, looking at food insecurity and obesity. 

Shakespeare and Financial Markets: Why This Time is Never Different

Taught by John Forlines III

Th 1:25-3:55 p.m.

Course Credits: ECON 255S, PUBOL 257S (CCI, SS)

Wondering how you can use Shakespeare to understand human behavior in the modern financial market? This course will analyze plays like Hamlet, Julius Caesar and Twelfth Night and use their themes to “better understand current socioeconomic trends.” Lessons will look at “policy errors, cultural and political dislocation, regime changes [and] demographic conflicts.” 

CORRECTION: A previous version of the article listed Sexual Pleasure in the Modern World as a class being offered next fall. This class is being taught this spring and is not offered next fall. The class has been replaced with Feast and Famine: Food in Global History in this article. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Ayra Charania profile
Ayra Charania | Senior Editor

Ayra Charania is a Trinity junior and a senior editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Here's five fall 2023 classes to fire up your bookbag ” on social media.